Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Sunday, January 3, 2021

Pink and Brown

It’s the New Year, 2021,  and the Rainbow Scrap Challenge is up and running again.  Pink is the colour of the month, and many thanks to Angela of So Scrappy for hosting this again.  How many taking part, I wonder, have been procrastinating like I have about what to do this year for RSC?  I’ve been thinking of various options, changed my mind several times, and then finally decided what to do.  I like to make donation quilts for children, and doing a few blocks each month makes it easy and interesting.  So these are two of my RSC projects for 2021.  There could well be another one later on.

Just for a change, I’m doing an applique block for the girl’s quilt, which will have an alternate block in-between later on.  For this month  I’ve stitched three pink birdies.

P1010469

Three pink birds

And for a young boy’s quilt, I decided to stitch some simple ship blocks.  I never know when a ship is a boat, or vice versa, something to do the size, I imagine.  Someone clever is sure to know the answer.  But I couldn’t make pink ships/boats for a boy, could I, so I went with brown instead.  Each is sailing on the briny blue sea.    And instead of rushing out to the LQS to get some sea fabric, I decided to make use of what I had, and found two different blues in my stash which will do the trick.   These are quick and easy to make, which is always a bonus.

P1010470

Blocks for a boy’s donation quilt

And then taking hardly any time at all, I quickly stitched up some pink flag blocks.  This design was a RSC late starter last year, so I am carrying it over to this year as well.

P1010472

Easy pink flag blocks

It will be fun to see what others will be stitching for their  RSC projects this month. There’s sure to be lots of pretty pink projects appearing on the link-up.

24 comments:

Jennifer said...

love the whimsical birdies! and interested to see what you'll do with the flags.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your pink birds are adorable, Jenny! And I think the boat blocks are the perfect idea for a boy's quilt, too. Those flag blocks are something I keep thinking I'll try, and then forget about them until I see yours. Happy New Year!

Cathy said...

Oh, those are going to be two cute quilts for kids. I especially love those birds. And good for you to use what is on hand instead of rushing out to buy more fabric.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Clever of you to pick blocks for children quilts! They are adorable.

maggie fellow said...

great idea to plan donation quilts ahead.

Julierose said...

those birds are so cute--just adorable...nice choices you've made for RSC blocks this year. I haven't decided--only that I will be making the Punctuation quilt...hugs, julierose

Janice said...

Have fun with RSC this year. I do like your block selections. The birds are super cute. I’ve decided not to join in this year, as there are so many other projects I want to work on.

Jackie said...

What lovely birds!!! The girl who gets that quilt will love it. And the boats will let some lucky boy be the captain of his own ship sailing the seven seas.

God bless.

ButterZ said...

It is always fun to make donation quilts out of blocks made while joining in with SAL’s.

Astrid said...

Great idea to make quilts for kids. Great blocks and those birds are so cute. Happy 2021!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love those little birds!

Maria said...

I think I’ll join in to RSC again but haven’t decided on a block?
Your birds and boats will be great kids quilts Jenny and the flags could go in between?

Linda said...

Those little bird blocks are so cute. Great idea for an RSC block.

Karen S said...

What a great way to start off the challenge. Love those birds.

Kim said...

Love those sweet little birdies and the boats are fun. Boat?? Ship?? Why, I rather like the word boat. =)

scraphappy said...

Looks like you settled on some great RSC projects for the new year. Those pink birdies are adorable!

Katie Z. said...

I love the birdies, and the ships are so cheerful too. Your plans for 2020 look great!

FlourishingPalms said...

Our New Year's Eve was spent with just the two of us too. Gosh, and we didn't even make it to midnight! :-) The blocks you've started for children's quilts are adorable, and will make into wonderful donations. Good for you to be doing that.

Ivani said...

Great plans for 2020!
The bird blocks will be perfect for a girl and the boat ones for a boy.
The kids will ne thrilled with your quilts.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Adorable PINK bird blocks, Jenny!!

The Cozy Quilter said...

Love the bird blocks...I can’t wait to see more colourful birds added to your flock! The boats will make a cute quilt too.

Cathy said...

What cute and whimsical blocks you’re making this year! I especially love those birds!! they’re going to make great quilts.

Susie H said...

Love your pink birds and I'll bet a little girl will love it too ... when finished. The boats are a good idea for a boys quilt. Great start and Happy New Year!

Preeti said...

Those birds are so darn cute. I am sure they will make some girl very happy.