Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Thursday, January 14, 2021

Time to Roll the Dice Again

It’s been a while, but on Monday I decided it was time to roll the dice again.  Which number would get to the top of the list, I wondered?  It was number 1, my strings blocks, nice to work on this one again.  Last time it looked like this, with the blocks all stitched together.

P1000575

This little cot quilt needed a border, so that was the first step this week.  I added a cream border, and took it outside to the patio table one warm sunny afternoon to pin it all together.

P1010508

All pinned, ready for quilting

Several days later, the quilting was complete, and the burgundy binding stitched on.  This was hand stitched down while watching CNN News – we don’t usually watch this channel, but after the attack on the Capitol building (and democracy) last week, we feel compelled to keep up with the news.  I must admit I felt sick to my stomach to watch the attack unfold.  Anyway, back to quilting.  Here is my little cot quilt completed, it is backed by a nice cozy flannel, and will be donated shortly.

P1010515

Donation cot quilt, all done

I’ve probably mentioned that I’ve been using up my pile of neutral string blocks, and this is the third donation quilt I’ve made from them.  These were originally stitched to be part of “Roll Roll, Cotton Boll”, a mystery quilt by Bonnie Hunter, which I didn’t continue with.  I’m pleased to say that all these blocks have now been used, with the final two being stitched into a draw string bag which I donate to Foster Hope Charity for children to use.

P1010516

The final two neutral string blocks

But……… although I’ve used up my original supply of neutral string blocks, I just couldn't help myself and dived into the big bag of various width strings to make some more.  These are made with colourful strings, and I have stitched enough for another quilt.  (And there are heaps more still to use, funny how that works, isn’t it).  This means that number one on my List of Six will still be String Blocks for the new roll of the dice!

P1010517

I’ve stitched some new string blocks

10 comments:

Cathy said...

Your cot/crib quilt turned out so sweetly, Jenny. That is going to be a cuddly and well-loved quilt, I’m sure. And good for you using up your old string blocks and then sewing more! String sewing is so fun and addictive. The attack on the Capitol building on 6 January was unbelievable and gut-wrenching. It knocked me into a tailspin for about 5 days. I know the perpetrators will be rounded up and punished, and as of today (US time), President Trump has been impeached again by our House of Representatives. The Senate won’t take it up for their part (possible indictment) until after Biden’s inauguration. I hope that they bar him from holding any future public office.

ButterZ said...

I love your quilting stitch. I wish I had that stitch on my machine.

Janice said...

A great start to the year’s sewing.

Karen S said...

A lovely finish!
And a new start with all the string blocks, too!!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it is amazing at times how all the way across the world and down under that people are concerned for our country as we are and yes it is sicking - we wonder what will happen next week as the next president is sworn into office and if there will be more violent from these protestors some of whom really seem to be twisted mentally.
It is nice to see your quilt take shape so quickly I don't think you had a lot to finish this one did you

Julierose said...

Loving that low volume string cot quilt--sooo pretty and comforting looking...nice job.
Hugs, Julierose

Maria said...

Your pink string blocks have make a lovely kids quilt.
I’m sew pleased you told me how to do that stitch, looks great.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

A great finish! I love the quilting that you did on this precious quilt.

Jackie said...

Just gorgeous.

God bless.

Michelle Ridgway said...

Thats a lovely finish Jenny. The string blocks are so effective.