Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Packing Up

Gemma let her feelings known, Christmas is over and it’s time to pack it all away, she thinks.  Why else would she be taking a swipe at Santa and knock him over?  She does look a little guilty, doesn’t she?

P1010489

Poor Santa

So the last day or two I’ve been packing the Christmas  things away, and putting the normal things back in place.  The brass needed a bit of attention, so I sat outside on the patio, rubber gloves on, cleaner and cloths to the ready, and started a little polishing.  These jugs usually reside on the windowsill in the dining room, and had been temporarily replaced with a trio of “golden” Christmas trees for the season. 

P1010491

Bertie the crocodile is practically a family heirloom and used to reside in my parent’s home.  He got a bit of a clean and buff up too before being replaced in his usual position.  I believe that these crocodiles were made in the Railway Workshops in the Hutt Valley years ago, and just about every employee took one home.  Ill gotten gains, on reflection, but I'm rather fond on good old Bertie the nut cracker.

P1010493

Cleaning the brass

I’ve had a bit of culture too, and went to the movies with a friend to see Blithe Spirit, by Noel Coward.  Previously, I had seen this on stage, so I was keen to see how it would be as a film.  Very enjoyable, with the fabulous Judi Dench, who accidentally calls up the spirit of her clients first wife.  Good fun, gorgeous fashions, and of course Noel Coward’s wonderful writing.

P1010495

An afternoon at the movies

There has been time for a little stitching too, and I’ve been putting together the blocks for my RSC checkerboard project.  So I’m getting there slowly.

P1010494

Assembling the checkerboard quilt

Our weather has ben nice, so we have been enjoying time outdoors when we can, and cooked a tasty roast chicken on the BBQ the other evening.  Our Weber cooks roast so well, and of course the smell is always mouth watering.  I cooked extra veggies inside.

P1010490

Roast Chicken dinner

So that’s been my first week in the New Year, have you been busy too, or just relaxing  over the holiday season?

10 comments:

Maria said...

Hahaha! Poor 🎅 Santa...
The roast looks delicious..
Good job starting the quilting on your RSC quilt...
Movie looks good...

Janice said...

That’s a fine start to the new year. Your roast chook looks delicious.

Karen S said...

Looks like Gemma is not going to let you rest whe there is work to be done. Did she help polish the brass as well?

ButterZ said...

Roast looks very yummy. I’m just busy back at work.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

We need to use our barbecue more than we do - I don't like to cook out side because of the bugs that are outside in the summer and the hot sun beating down on you - and Mike refuses to learn how to cook period so I have to do it all. Your chicken looks wonderful.

Julierose said...

that roast chicken looks mouth watering along with the roasted veggies--yum!
Too cold here for outside bbq-ing -- will be quite a while yet.
Good to start on RSC..I think I will concentrate on the punctuation piece and some strips and
strings this time around...
hugs (from hunting for pink underneath all my stash) --Julierose ;)))

Lyndsey said...

Great start to the New Year Jenny. I cleared away Christmas yesterday (12th night) and the place looks much bigger again. Christmas seems to take up so much room. The Roast chicken looks very tasty.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Gemma does indeed look guilty in the photo. I packed the Christmas decorations away last week - nice to have the house back in order. The brass looks polished and buffed.

Susan Smith said...

OMG, I've got one of those crocodiles too, being my parent's nutcracker as a child. I keep seeing people doing this RSC thing & am wondering if I could join in too, though I may have too much else I've been thinking of doing & still continue to struggle with this virus & all it's turmoil. Take care & stay safe.

Jackie said...

Your roast looks wonderful.

The crocodile is very interesting. I do love brass objects, though I don't own many.

God bless.