Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Monday, December 28, 2020

Blue Knitting Times Two

I quite enjoy knitting in the evenings, and also take knitting away on car journeys.  I don't know about you, but I seem to have a mental block when it comes to sewing up my knitting projects.  But with the end of the year coming up fast, I’ve put the extra effort in, sat down at the dining table for hours on end, and finally stitched all the pieces together.  After all, I told myself, they are almost at the finishing line, just get on and get it done this year, instead of carrying the projects over to 2021!

My first knitting project started life like this, when I purchased skeins of wool and needed someone handy to hold it while I would it into balls.  Lucky for me that Robin was a willing partner so I could get the job done.

P1340614

He’s helping me, watched over by Gemma

The yarn is New Zealand made and a shade of pretty blue called Blue Topaz, 53% mohair, 35% rayon ribbon, 10% wool and 2% nylon.  Just a simple plain boat neck jumper, (called a sweater in USA.)   I’ve often wondered about the different names for the same garment and Mr Google told me the reason.   The word "jumper" when used to mean a sweater comes from an obsolete term for a large, loose men's jacket called a jump. "Jumper" is a term mainly used in England, while the term "sweater" is more common in American usage. Their activity would cause them to sweat, hence the term "sweater."  So now we know.  I’ll probably wear a blouse or skivvy underneath in the winter, as I’m not too keen on bare necklines.

P1010430P1010434-001

All finished, but it wont be needed till next winter

And blue project number two was knitted from the extra yarn I purchased and used in the ribbing for my jumper.  I wasn’t too sure if I would have enough of the ribbon yarn to finish my project, and bought several extra balls just in case I had to add stripes into the body.  This is 14ply Crucci, 80% wool and 20% mohair, also made in New Zealand.  Once I’d sewn this toddler cardigan up, out came the button jar, I was on the hunt for five blue buttons.  And luckily, I found them, wasn't that lucky, so I don't have to take a trip to the shops.

P1010457

Looking for blue buttons

It turned out quite nicely I’m pleased to say, Gemma certainly thought so as she gave it an inspection.  This little cardigan is knitted in stocking stitch with moss stitch bands, nice mindless knitting.

P1010459P1010460

Cozy blue cardy for a toddler

I’ll probably keep this one in granny box, just in case a baby arrives in the family.  Or it may be donated, sometime in the future, who knows.  Wherever it ends up, it will be keeping some little child nice and warm.

20 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

Love your sweater, it fits you so nicely and I love the soft blue color. The toddler sweater is cute, it's always nice to have something on hand to be gifted. Happy stitching!

The Cozy Quilter said...

Your sweater is lovely...the colour is beautiful. It looks warm and cozy. The baby sweater is so cute. Nice to have the right buttons on hand. Happy new year!

Deb A said...

Your sweaters are beautiful. Lucky to have such a great helper with the winding of the yarn.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

so far I have enjoyed knitting the "sweater" I am making but I have never made one that fit me just right. I guess I need to learn how to make the set in sleeves as the boxy fit of the seamed sweaters never seem to have a good neckline on them.

Julierose said...

Lovely blue knitting projects--I never liked sewing my "sweaters" together either...
nice fit to your jumper...and the baby's cardigan is just lovely...
hugs from very cold winter here...Julierose

Karla (ThreadBndr) said...

That's a very nice sweater - love the color on you! I knew that Brits call that garment a 'jumper' but had no idea why. Learned something new today LOL

Happy New Year!

Quilter Kathy said...

Two lovely blue sweaters... well done!

Tired Teacher 2 said...

The yarn is such a pretty blue, and the sweaters (jumpers) look fabulous. Thanks for searching and sharing the origin of the words because I had previously wondered about it. I love your button collection! As a child, I entertained myself with my mother’s button tin, organizing, counting, separating. Good memories.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

What a pretty blue sweater, Jenny! Congratulations on your finish! It will be fun to have something new to wear when next winter rolls around.

Kim said...

I love your pretty, blue jumper, Jenny. It is very flattering. Aren't husbands the best? They just sit there with arms outstretched while their wives untangle the wool. Love his smile! Isn't it great to have a button collection where can find exactly what one needs. I have many a jar overspilling with buttons. Enjoy wearing your beautiful jumper!

stitchingirlblog.wordpress.com said...

Both sweaters (jumpers) are super pretty. Your sewing up of the pieces looks like it went really well.

Deb said...

Just love the sweater/jumper, the color is beautiful and looks amazing on you. Oh my goodness those buttons spilled out recall the old days when I would play with my grandmothers button box. I have my own button box and love to rummage through looking for just the right button for a project. Happy New Year to you.

Janice said...

It’s nice to have them both finished by the end of the year. The blue really suits you.

ButterZ said...

Great knitting. That was very lucky to find the buttons.

Michelle Ridgway said...

Such a pretty blue and it looks so lovely on you Jenny. The little cardy is so sweet too xx

Jackie said...

I sometimes find that the sewing up takes almost as much time as knitting the project to begin with.

Good for you in getting those completed.

God bless.

Karen S said...

Both projects are great finishes.
Your blue jumper looks great. Such a lovely colour.
Isn't it a bonus hwhen you can find the right buttons at home?

Pink Rose said...

Hi Jenny wow I love your new blue jumper it looks fantastic on you and the blue suits you well. You do such lovely work,we are hopefully heading off in the caravan soon Happy New Year my friend xx

Cathy said...

The sweaters are a beautiful shade of blue, and yours looks great on you. The soft blue is very flattering Wouldn’t it be great if you had a grandchild some day who would wear the sweater and match Grammy?!

Preeti said...

Robin? That is not Robin. That is Santa Claus taking a break after the very busy Christmas gift-giving spree :-) The sweater is a beautiful blue and you look very pleased in it. Happy New Year to you and yours!!!