Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Sunday, December 27, 2020

Selvedge Spools

It’s so nice to have another Rainbow Scrap Challenge finish before the end of the year.  The reason I decided to assemble my selvedge spools was because it was small.  But it still took me ages after it decided it didn’t really want to place nicely with me and I had to get the unpicker out for a while.

P1010390

I had stitched nine spool blocks during the year, using a free pattern from Lorna McMahon of Sew Fresh Quilts.  One each month using selvedges in the nominated colour.  On several of the spool blocks I used multi-colour striped fabric, courtesy of Jean who blogs as All Points of the Compass, she had kindly dropped me off a couple of bags of fabric pieces some time ago. 

My pretty little selvedge spool quilt is now machine quilted, binding, hanging sleeve and label added, and hanging in pride of place in the sewing room.

P1010414

Selvedge spools

It is replacing Winter Quilt Festival, a pretty little panel which was sent to me as a gift, finished by me and hand quilted.  Our winter has been and gone so it’s high time this little quilt came down for a rest.

P1010413

Winter Quilt Festival

So how many 2020 RSC projects do I have yet to be completed?  I’m only admitting to “several”.

21 comments:

maggie fellow said...

congrats on finishes and happy rsc next year

Gretchen Weaver said...

I started 3 RSC projects in 2020 and didn't finish a single one but I hadn't planned to finish any. That will happen in 2021. Your spool quilt is very cute, happy stitching!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

your spool quilt turned out really great. I only do one a year as I like to make mine a larger size so one is enough for me to go with all the other projects I do each year

scraphappy said...

The spools are lovely. So nice to have a place to proudly display finished quilts.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Selvedge Spools is so pretty, Jenny! It's perfect for your sewing room. I will admit to "several" unfinished projects from 2020, too! :)

Deb A said...

Those selvedge spools are adorable. Perfect wall hanging for a sewing room for inspiration.

Cathy said...

I love your spools wall hanging. Of course it had to hang in the sewing room!! lovely finish, Jenny!

Tired Teacher 2 said...

How wonderful: I love the spools and the colorful selvages you used. It looks great hanging on the wall.

The Joyful Quilter said...

I got a good laugh at your last statement, Jenny! :o))
Congratulations on finishing up your little Spool quilt. It turned out SEW cute!!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Your Selvedge spools is beautiful, I love it!

FlourishingPalms said...

Your little selvedge spool quilt is adorable, and perfect for your sewing room wall. How great that you pieced, quilted, bound, and prepped it for hanging... just like that! A finished quilt is always a great quilt!

Julierose said...

Loving the spools--Such a cute wall quilt...nice work...
Hugs, Julierose

Cathy said...

Your spools are so cute and it looks like you found the perfect place to hang it. I, too, have lots of unfinished projects. There's always next year!

Marti said...

I love the spools! What a clever idea to use selvedges on it. We are having a warm winter and it just hasn't seemed like Christmas. I always wonder if people in the Southern Hemisphere feel the same or if, growing up with Christmas in summer makes it feel normal. I grew up in an area with a lot of snow, so no snow coupled with warm weather doesn't feel right.

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Love the spools quilt, it's perfect for a sewing room. Sorry you had to use the unpicker, I've been doing a bit of that too lately. I think "several" is the perfect answer when asked how many projects we have in the works!

gayle said...

I'm also in the 'several' club... 8)
Love your spools! What a great idea!

Janice said...

Good on you. It is a lovely little hanger for the sewing room. I just have this year’s two projects to finish. I’m not sure if they will get finished by the end of the year or not.

Maria said...

The Spools look lovely and will great hung in your sewing space..

Michelle Ridgway said...

Love your sweet spools quilt....looks beautiful xx

Karen S said...

Well done. Another wonderful finish.

Birthe Marie said...

Very sweet spool quilt! Congrats on your finish! :-)