In the weekend I did an unscientific experiment with my dice. As you know, I like to give my pink dice a shake, rattle and roll on the carpet to determine which UFO I will be working on for the current week. But I’ve long suspected that not all numbers are coming up regularly – in fact, I don’t remember number 6 being selected for many months. So with Robin’s help as scribe, I rolled my pink dice, just as I usually do, ten times. Interesting enough, two numbers did not get selected at all. Perhaps that is what “the dice is loaded” means. Mr Google tells me, that when the dice are loaded, weight has been added to one side or another of dice so that they will always come up with certain numbers facing upward.
Luckily the bag of dice I purchased from the $2 shop contained several more of different colours. So I repeated the experiment with the blue dice, and this time all numbers came up. Strange but true. Robin doesn’t think this proves anything and tells I would be better off using a random number generator each week instead. But I feel that’s a bit too new fangled for me and would take all the fun out of choosing a number.
My pink dice has been pensioned off, and it’s blue cousin had a turn. It’s a new project, first time called up, and this week I’ll be working on my New Zealand native bird wall-hanging. What's in the bag? Let’s see how much of this I had actually started. Lots of birds cut out with fusible attached, all ready to be appliqued.
Birds cut out ready to applique
I've had a busy morning out and about, doing a few quilty things, such as buying more batting, and some cord for a future project. Did a little shopping, and went to the library – I just can’t live without a book or two to read. And just look at this lovely sight I saw while I was driving around, the first sprinkle of snow on the Tararua Ranges. In our part of New Zealand the snow seldom falls on the ground.
First snowfall of the season
So I didn’t really feel like sitting at the machine in the afternoon. But at least I know where I’m up to, and I’ve also prepared some “leader and ender” sewing as well, and hopefully can make a good start tomorrow.