Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Friday, May 26, 2017

New Zealand Birds

My New Zealand Birds quilt top is finished, so that’s a big smile from me.  Mind you, it’s quite small, but even so, a small finish is still rather pleasing.  I’ve been carefully machine blanket stitching around each of these little birds during the week.  Then today I assembled the rows using a leafy green fabric.

P1040993

The top row is the fantail (piwakawaka), followed by the tui, known as the parson bird by the early settlers because of the white feathers at the throat.  Row number three features the stitchbird (hihi), a rare honeyeater now only found in bird sanctuaries.  Followed by the intelligent and inquisitive kea, the world’s only alpine parrot.

In true “use it up” style, I’ve pieced the backing, and stitched two pieces of batting together to give me the correct size.  My little quilt is now layered and pinned, all ready to quilt.  It’s been a busy week socially with a coffee morning, and a ladies lunch later in the week, so I’m really pleased with what I have achieved so far.

P1040994
Pinned up ready to quilt

5 comments:

Razzle Dazzle Quilter said...

What a lovely outcome.

loulee said...

Nice, love the Keas. Cheeky little beggars!

Anonymous said...

Super quilt.
I think your method of choosing which UFO to work on is imaginative and brilliant.
Love reading your blog.

Joanne in Massachusetts

(General apologies to all for current inhabitant in White House.)

Maria said...

Looks lovely 😊

HEATHER B said...

H Jenny your little birds are real sweeties and make a delightful wall hanging. Wonder what will come up this Monday from your blue dice. You certainly inspired me to reduce my UFO stash, but I still just love to start a new project, yours in stitches. Heather B