Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Saturday, September 12, 2026

Yellow Strings

 I've been working away on my yellow string baby quilt.  The blocks started like this, a bag of yellow strings of various widths sewn onto a backing of tracing vilene.  The blocks always look much more presentable when they are trimmed.


Yellow string blocks

Then the blocks were stitched together and Gemma decided to check them out.  Mmmm, not too bad, she said.  I always like to make the binding too, at this stage, then I know it is ready and waiting for me.


Gemma the quilt inspector

Next step, layered and safety pinned.  Luckily there was a piece of batting I found that fitted well, plus some wnyceyette (flannel) tucked away in the wardrobe.  I always like to pin my stitching/quilting  rows well, and worked on the quilting steadily throughout the week, using my favourite serpentine stitch.


Quilting time

With the quilting complete, I finished stitching the binding down today.  There, all done, a cheerful little baby quilt which will be sent to a new home sometime.    And I'm pleased that it used up my bag of yellow strips.


All finished

As you know, I'm an avid reader, and recently finished Pure Evil, by Linda La Plante.  It's been a while since I've read any of her books.  This features (new to me)  Det Jack Warr, and certainly was a gripping story - I certainly do enjoy a good detective book, and I'll be looking for more in this series.    I hadn't discovered  the author Tony Parsons before.  Your Neighbours Wife was one of  those hard to put down books, telling the story of the deadly consequences of a long ago one night stand, with an unseen twist in the end.  


Recently enjoyed library books

12 comments:

Sara said...

Gemma is right - the yellow strings make a great quilt. Very pretty. Both of those books sound like things I would enjoy too. I'll have to look into those authors more closely.

Astrid said...

Your string blocks turned into a pretty yellow baby quilt, Jenny! Gemma is such a handsome girl. A good detective book is always worth reading.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Such a pretty quilt finish, Jenny! Best of luck with your PURPLE scraps for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your strings made a delightful quilt, Jenny! I love all the fun yellow prints. Detective novels are my favorites, too - I'll have to look for those at our library.

loulee said...

A lovely quilty finish Jenny. I agree with Gemma, it's very bright and sunny.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

do you read in bed too? I sometimes I'm reading and I find I have dropped the kindle in the night on to the floor and have fallen asleep

Cathy said...

Ooh… I love your yellow strings baby quilt! I must remember to do the same thing sometime instead of turning them all over for kits. I especially love the occasional touches of blue in the yellow prints. So cheerful and happy!

Maria said...

The yellow strings have made a lovely quilt.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Such a cheerful and sweet quilt, Jenny. And what a special quilt inspector that you have on hand. Gemma is a doll!

Sarah said...

That is a very pretty string quilt. Love the socks in your previous post too! Sarah quilting by the Sea

Julierose said...

Just a lovely finish on those yellow string blocks, Jenny...hugs, Julierose

Jackie said...

That is going to be a lovely cheerful quilt. Well done.

God bless.