Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Saturday, September 5, 2026

A little purple stitching.

 I had a rummage through my "bag of bag bits" to see what I had tucked away in purple, I was sure there were a couple of suitable pieces of fabric just waiting to be found.  What's this, two orphan blocks in shades of purple, a small piece of alien fabric and a stripey floral.  So I gathered toning fabric for the backs plus some lining fabric and started cutting and pinning.  The bags turn out to be different sizes, depending on how big the piece of focus fabric is.  The orphan blocks were stitched first.  One was a leftover block from my Batik Beauty quilt, and I think the other one was sent to me by my pen-friend Carol, quite some time ago.  So it was good to use them both up.

A new life for left over blocks

Aliens came next, and I'm sure a young boy would like this to put his treasures in, then I completed the final bag, a pretty piece of lilac and yellow stripey floral.  Luckily I had enough suitable cord for these bags so didn't need to go out and buy extra.  So that is the bags done, nice and early  for September.

Last two purple bags

And keeping with the purple theme, I spotted these pretty little flowers growing outside in a pot.  I'm not much of a gardener and think these may be hyacinths.  but I could be wrong.  I'm pleased that they pop up and flower each year without any help whatsoever from me!


A pot of purple pretties


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jenny, I noticed your purple flowers and had some Question Marks in the face,....don`t know those flowers,....hmm.
I looked a second time, ah, these could be hyacinths,...but,...it is fall,... can`t be. Or,...she`s living in the south,...there is Spring now.

Realy, I read on your camper side that you are travelling in New Zealand,...the question marks disappeared quickly,....
So, have a lovely Spring there! I like the fall with rain after some hot weeks of Summer here in Germany!
Best wishes, Angela from the Lower Rhine!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Those look like hyacinths to me, they have such a lovely scent! Fun little bags!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

The orphan blocks work great in your bags, Jenny! Those are fun in the different purples. I'm not very good at identifying flowers either, but those are pretty no matter what their name is!

Sara said...

Your flowers are beautiful. The bags are such a clever idea, and using those orphan blocks in them was extra clever.

The Cozy Quilter said...

I have not pulled out my purple scraps yet. That is on this week’s agenda. You always make such cute drawstring bags.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Those little drawstring bags are precious, Jenny . A great use of scraps and orphaned blocks. I wish you a lovely day. Hugs.

Nancy J said...

Hyacinths, maybe with a perfume too. Wonderful to have boys and girls bags, just the right size for little fingers .

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love fresh flowers in a pot - do you plant the bulbs outside so they can flower next year outside?

Sue said...

Orphan blocks are a great way to make some of your bags. Good thinking & they turned out great!

Astrid said...

Pretty purple bags. Great way using the orphan blocks. I'm not good at flower names either, it may be hyacinths.