Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Wednesday, August 19, 2026

What's gone wrong now!

I have to admit that I have a problem when things go wrong in the house, such as appliances, or the computer.  Yes, I do tend to panic, probably because after many years of Robin tending to these sorts of blokey things, it now all falls on me.  What to do, who to call?  On Sunday I noticed a big puddle of water under the tub and washing machine,  after I had done a load of laundry earlier in the morning.  So out came a couple of towels  to mop it all up, and I wondered if the washing machine had died, or maybe it was a plumbing problem, who knows?  Everything came out from the tub cabinet, and the shelves were mopped up too.  What a mess, water everywhere.  On Monday morning I phoned the local appliance centre, they have a good name, and we have used them before.  A workman will be around at 2.00pm I was told, whew, that's quick, I thought.

Very prompt service

A nice young man came and checked the washing machine out.  It turned out there  a worn and damaged seal on the pipe which goes from the machine to underneath the tub which was leaking, and was easily replaced.  That's better than being told I needed to purchase a new washing machine.  So all my worry was for nothing, once again.

I peeked under the tub

After the pipe was replaced I gave the tub cabinet a wipe down and replaced all the bits and pieces which live there, laundry powder, cleaning products, that sort of thing.  The knitted selvedge mat which lives on the floor in front of the tub was sodden and needed washing, no problem, I've got a second one.  But...... it had a hole and I'd never got around to mending it, why didn't I repair it straight away, I asked myself.    So now was a good time to get on with fixing the hole, better late than never!

How did that happen?

Mmmm, what to do here?  This would be a bit difficult to knit the partial rows together.  So I found another selvedge strip, attached a safety pin to the end, and wove it in and out pulling those loops together.  There, done, and hardly noticeable.  It is now sitting in place on the floor in front of the laundry tub, the hole repaired, and looks fine.


 Selvedge mat in place

I checked back through earlier blogs to find that I started knitting  the selvedge mats in 2014 - that's quite a while ago!  It wasn't easy knitting at all, quite hard on my hands, but I persevered and made two.  And used up an awful lot of selvedges.  I got the idea from the very talented Amanda Jean of Crazy Mom Quilts. I loved seeing  all the different colours coming through, offset by the various neutrals.  I used up long lengths, and shorter selvedges too, whatever came to hand, stitching the ends together and wound it into several big balls.  


I started knitting these back in 2014

After all the excitement of the flood in the laundry, which is situated in the garage so didn't really do too much damage, it was nice to get some unexpected visitors pop in after the serviceman had been.  My niece Lisa, my late sister Kathleen's daughter, and Lisa's daughter Kate had come down to the Kapiti region for a long weekend, and called in on their way back to Hastings.


Lisa and Kate

The girls presented me with such a pretty little posy too.  Written on the card was "Dear Aunty Jenny, a little something from us to brighten your day".   Such a lovely thought, and yes indeed, my day certainly was made all the brighter.


A pretty posy of flowers

10 comments:

Nancy J said...

A flood, a fix it, and then flowers, what a wonderful ending to what wasn't a massive disaster, but enough to be a worry. I,too, would find it hard to manage with problems like that without Hugh here. cooling down now, time to light the fire again. I cannot remember a winter when we have notice the cold, or felt as cold as this, I can put it all down to old or older age I guess. The younger generation are so thoughtful. XXX

Lyndsey said...

I know how you feel. When we had young children John was often away for work and I could guarentee things would go wrong when he was away. Sorting the problems was always stressful. With both John and Richard at home there is always someone to sort out any issues. Richard is very willing to show me how to fix things, which is really helpful. Pretty flowers and such a thoughtful treat. I love your selvedge mats.

FlourishingPalms said...

Oh, I can imagine your consternation at finding water on your laundry room floor. That seal ring was probably easy to replace, and no doubt the cost of the service was more than the fix. That's the way it goes, right? It's nice to see your knitted selvedge rug! I too followed Amanda Jean's (Crazy Mom Quilts) blog and doin's and made a rug from her tutorial. Though I crocheted mine. It's long gone now, having been worn out. Yours still looks very pretty. I've got a large bag of selvedges going again, so perhaps it's time to think of crocheting - or perhaps this time, knitting - another rug. Actually, there are many good things to do with selvedges! It's nice to have family visit who bring flowers too.

Julierose said...

Good that it was a fairly easy fix for your machine, Jenny--Water woes are no fun--very worrying...
What a lovely surprise visit for you--and pretty posy to brighten things up after all your worries...;))) I love that knitted mat--I can see how it would have been hard on your hands knitting it though. Hugs, Julierose

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

I am like you, Jenny. I feel uneasy when an unexpected problem occurs. I am so glad the service man was able to come and fix the issue and it was an easy fix. Your selvedge mat is fabulous. I have crocheted a few rugs and have one in progress but I really like the idea of using up all of those selvedges. It is so sweet that your niece and grandniece came for a visit. I know they brightened your day. Hugs and Blessings.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that is so nice that this was an easy fix and wasn't too big of a mess. I'm like you - who do I call if it falls on me to do. And what a nice time to get a visit from your niece and great niece. Such pretty flowers.

Astrid said...

Being in your shoes, I think I had panicked too. So glad it was an easy fix. Love your selvedge mat, Jenny. Nothing better than a surprise visit to brighten your day. Beautiful flower bouquet.

Karen S said...

So Pleased that it was an easy fix.
How lovely to have visitors, and the flowers are gorgeous!

Jackie said...

I am glad the washer was an easy fix. Love the selvedge mats. I can just imagine how heavy that was to knit. Great way to repair the hole.

God bless.

CathieJ said...

Despite all the mopping up that you had to do, I am glad that this was an easy fix. That selvege mat is pretty.