Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Valentine's Day

 Happy Valentine's Day to all.  I had to educate Robin about St Valentine - he didn't realise that there was indeed such a person.  St Valentine was martyred on 14th February in the year 269 under instructions of Emperor Claudius 11 for helping Christian couples wed.


I like to bring out my bed quilt "Hearts of Love" for the months of November, our wedding month, and again in February, for Valentine's Day.  The heart blocks were received some years ago when I took part in a block swap.  Then I assembled the quilt using star blocks as part of the sashing.  I'm sure most quilters like to rotate their quilts for various celebrations too.  Here is Gemma nice and cozy tucked up on the bed

Hearts of Love for Valentine's month

We were meeting some friends for lunch today at a recently opened cafe in Foxton, and they were certainly celebrating the day with little heart shaped chocolates for each customer, and a balloon heart on each table.

Happy Valentine's Day, Robin

Just as well I had booked a table, as the cafe was very busy indeed.  Our meals were nice, Robin had a hamburger, and I had a kumara stack with bacon and sour cream, very tasty indeed.  the others had food from the cabinet.  Dare I say we all had a cake as well - we were having a celebration, after all.  One of the friendly girls took our photo for us.


Jenny, Trish, Robin, Calvin and Helen

Then it was back to our home for another cuppa and cake, and even more chatting amongst ourselves.  There is always plenty to talk about, remembering old friends no longer with us, and fun outings we had all enjoyed when we were younger and fitter.  It certainly was a nice day out.

7 comments:

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Happy Valentine's Day , Jenny. Your Hearts of Love quilt is gorgeous. It sounds like you had a very lovely outing today with Robin and your friends. Got to have cake on this special day. Hugs.

The Cozy Quilter said...

Gemma certainly is feeling well loved as she curls up on your heart quilt! I change out the quilt on our bed about once a month. I have a heart wall hanging that is on display for February. Sounds like a fun lunch out with your friends.

Julierose said...

HAPPY ST. VALENTINE'S DAY to you and Robin ;)))

--here, our day is laden with freshly fallen snow and NW-erly winds; very blustery out there and frigid. I hope to be able to make a few little green/pink snowball blocks this morning...my hands are feeling a lot better--but still, only maybe 15 minutes' working...hugs, Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

sounds like you had a great day - yes a lot of people do that realize Valentines Day is named for a saint

Lyndsey said...

A lovely way to send Valentine's day. It looks like you all had a lot of fun.

Maria said...

A fun Valentines 💘 Day.

FlourishingPalms said...

Your quilt is lovely, and I think it's wonderful that you rotate yours. I don't do that because our bed is king-sized, and I've only ever made one king-sized quilt. You certainly celebrated St. Valentine's Day in style! How nice to spend time with friends, enjoy one another's company, and eat food someone else has made!