Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Saturday, February 10, 2024

Green and Red for RSC

 I've been working hard to finish up a green UFO for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  It didn't quite get completed in January, but here it is done now.  In fact, the binding was stitched down today.  This cot quilt was made with green and lemon 5in squares I received from my elderly neighbour Dorothy's stash which was donated to me when she went into a rest home.  The green border fabric came from Dorothy as well.  This truly is the "gift which keeps on giving" as I still have many more charm squares left, including those I've used in last year's  Happy Blocks, and I'm dipping into them again this year too.


Cot quilt for donation

As a change from my more usual Serpentine stitch quilting lines, I decided to do some "dot to dot" quilting lines inside each square.  This is the first time I've done this, but it turned out fine, I think.


Different quilting lines for a change

Red is the RSC colour chosen for February, so I've been busy stitching red Happy blocks.  I found three girl's floral squares in the stash, and border fabrics to suit.  The boy's pirate blocks were next, and I used the same shade of red to surround these with.  


Girl's Happy Blocks

Boy's Pirate blocks

Next were the four patch blocks, teddy bears, stars, shoes and flower buds soon had their borders applied.

Four patch blocks

And finally, a few Hollow Nines to add to the collection.  I'm only using 2.5in squares already cut for these, just want to use them up without cutting any more and clear the bag.  

Hollow Nines

So that's what I've been doing the last week or so.  I really enjoy checking out all the other RSC stitchers projects too.

18 comments:

Connie said...

I really like your green quilt, but what I see already from the red one . . . I'm going to love it! Red is so much fun 😊
Happy quilting,
Connie

ButterZ said...

You did well with the dot to dot quilting. I was just thinking how good it stands out.

The Cozy Quilter said...

Lovely green baby quilt! I like the way you quilted it too. I have not taken my red scraps out yet. I spy quilts are fun to make and interesting to look at when they are done.

Maria said...

Such a lovely green baby quilt and the dot to dot quilting really makes the blocks pop.
Good progress on the red blocks. Are you going to make a quilt similar to the green one?

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I haven't seen dot to dot quilting but I imagine it makes for a neater quilting design

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love that green and lemon quilt - such pretty and soothing colors! Congratulations on your finish. Looks like you had fun sewing with red this week, too!

Julierose said...

Your RSC WIPS are coming along so nicely, Jenny!!
The green dot-to-dot quilting is just lovely--nice work...
Although my hands are still not cooperating for sewing, I was able to walk the entire circumference of the playing field of .8 of a mile this morning--1st time since my H-disk happened to me--great feeling to be out in that fresh air--46 degrees here so on the warmer side...
Hugs, Julierose

grammajudyb said...

Lovely cot quilt. Such soft baby colors! Lots of red for February! Aren’t the Happy Blocksfun?

Linda in UK said...

What a pretty little quilt. How nice that Your neighbour’s gift is still being used. Pretty red blocks too.

Gwyned Trefethen said...

What a treasure to have Dorothy's stash to use as you wend your way through 2024. The fussy cut swashbuckling pirates cracked me up. Someone is going to have fun playing I Spy when those blocks get made into a quilt.

loulee said...

Lovely green quilt Jenny. You're making great progress on the reds.

Mari said...

Your dot to dot quilting looks great, and I love all your red blocks. Congratulations on the cute finish!

Jackie said...

What a lovely finished quilt.

Love the new blocks you have sewn.

God bless.

Mary R. said...

The dot-to-dot quilting is very nice!

Astrid said...

Lovely baby quilt in beautiful colors. Congrats on the finish! Love your dot-to-dot quilting, makes me want to try it. Pretty red blocks. Happy Sunday!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Oooh , Hollow Nines- I really love these. Lots of pretties being worked on. Fabulous job, dear Jenny.

Maggie said...

Beautiful work and such a wonderful way to use all the gifted fabrics. Dorothy will be so happy for how you are spreading the cheer with all these treasures. Have a great weekend.

Karen S said...

Great work on the cot quilt and meeting the green challenge.
And the red blocks look great.