Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Sunday, February 11, 2024

Socks, and catching up with an old friend

 I know I'm a slow knitter, and  I finally finished this pair of socks some time ago.  But I was even slower getting around to stitching up the side seam.  There they sat, and sat, waiting patiently for that single inside seam on each to be sewn.  At last they were completed, a nice pair of 4ply socks.  I wanted to use up the remaining white and coloured sock yarn from a previous pair, so had to go and purchase the blue wool to go with it.  Now I've got left over blue sock yarn - that's the way it goes.

Another pair of socks

A few days I caught up with my old school friend Merilyn, who lives in the South Island.  She had flown up to Wellington with her son to attend a Memorial Service for her brother.  It's certainly sad when your siblings pass away.  She told me she really, really wanted to see me so of course we drove down and had a lovely catch up with her and her son before the family plans took place.  We chose a local cafe for coffee and scones and sat and chatted away.  Merilyn is one of those friends who you just pick up the conversation with, the next time you meet.

Two old school friends

Merilyn does spinning and had brought me up some more of her lovely home spun wool, in a lovely rich  brown shade.   I'm sure I will be able to put it to good use.

Pure New Zealand hand spun wool

20 comments:

Kim said...

Those stripes in the blue socks are fabulous, Jenny. Perhaps with the leftover blue yarn you could make another pair of stripey socks?? It would have been lovely to meet up with your school friend, even though the circumstances were sad for her. The wool she gifted you is a wonderful colour.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

How wonderful that you was able to meet up with a school friend. I bet it was a joy to catch up. The socks are so pretty and that is the yarn is so yummy.

Karla (ThreadBndr) said...

I think it was The Yarn Harlot that called it the 'cinnamon toast problem'. You make toast and run out of cinnamon sugar, so you have to make more toast....

I've been doing the same with my charity hats lately. I buy yarn to finish off a hat, with gives me leftovers, but not quite enough to finish another hat LOL.

CathieJ said...

Your socks are very pretty and I am sure you will be able to use the leftover blue yarn in the future. Merilyn's yarn looks beautiful. How nice that you got to visit during that sad time.

Gretchen Weaver said...

Your socks are so pretty! That's the way any craft goes, you always need to get something and there is always some left to use for the next project, but not enough so the cycle continues. It's nice you and your friend could get together, the yarn looks so rich.

The Cozy Quilter said...

What fun socks!!! Isn’t it funny that in attempting to use up leftovers, we create more leftovers ?!!!
I love seeing old friends to catch up.

Jill said...

The blue socks are a lovely shade of blue which is worth getting more of in my opinion. Quite comforting when one visits with an old friend and pick up where you left off.

linda said...

Your socks are lovely, I will have yarn left over when I finish making Kevins socks so I intend making some ankle socks which I find are handy to wear inside my boots. it's always lovely to meet up with old friends especially when scones are involved.

Maggie said...

It is bitter sweet when we meet up under sad times but you got to get together and that is what matters, especially when we can just be there for each other. Beautiful socks and yarn.

Julierose said...

Love your blue striped socks--they look so cozy--slow is good, Jenny! I find if I crochet slowly, i enjoy it a lot more...and don't get that frantic "I have to finish this row" feeling!!
I am hoping that i can pick up my afghan soon--giving my hands plenty of time off for now...
So wonderful to get the chance to meet up with a school chum--
hugs, Julierose

Lyndsey said...

Your finished socks are great and meeting up with an old friend is always fun. I love the colour of the wool and can't wait to see what you will make with it.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

your school friend sounds like how my siblings are - we seem to pick up the conversation from where we left off even if it has been several years! The good kind of friends to have

Karrin Hurd said...

Another beautiful pair of socks. Love them! Even though you are a slow knitter, you are a lot faster than I! How great you got to meet up with an old school friend. Hope you have a great week!

Jackie said...

Jenny, such pretty socks. I love the stripes in them. It was also a great way to use up more of that yarn.

How great to meet an old school friend and spend some catchup time with them.

God bless.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love the colorful stripes your socks, Jenny! It's always wonderful to catch up with an old friend, too, and she knew just what to bring you!

Jenn Jilks said...

Isn't that fun!
We have lots of farms around, and love the sheep.

Nancy J said...

Home spun, beautiful, and to catch up again would be so heartwarming for you both.

Deb said...

How lovely to catch up with an old friend, your socks are lovely and the brown wool looks warm and soft.

Karen S said...

The socks are great.
And how special to catch up with a friend.

Maria said...

Love the socks…
Lovely to catch up with old friends.
That nice wool will knit up nicely.