Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Elephant Top Finished

 I've been working away on my Elephants, and number 2 for the Chookshed Challenge.  At the beginning of the year we had to list ten projects for this challenge, and a random number is chosen for each month.  This is my number 2, using the design Elephant Parade as inspiration.  I also wanted to use up a pile of grey and pink strips, which were cut for an earlier project some years ago and never used.


My starting point

Pink and grey strips were sewn together, and the elephants traced out and appliqued.  Then the rows were stitched together, and a grey border added.  That's good, I've met my goal this month and finished the top.  


Elephant families

Not only that, I sewed the backing to size, using soft and cuddly flannel, and prepared the binding.  Now I need to get on and machine quilt it sometime.  It's always a bonus having the binding prepared early, I find.


Backing and binding strip all ready and waiting.

But......... did I use up all those precut pink and grey strips?  Of course not, there are still a whole pile left.  So I've come up with an idea for another pink and grey quilt, and this one doesn't involve elephants.  

14 comments:

Karen S said...

You have zoomed along with this one. Great way to use up some of those pieces, too.
A lovely result.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Cute, cute! Maybe it needs a pillow to go with it to use up the pink and grey.

The Cozy Quilter said...

You are all ready to quilt up this parade! Very cute quilt!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

seems like you had just started that top - good finish

Maria said...

Looks fantastic!
So good to have all ready for you to sandwich and quilt.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Love the elephant parade, Jenny, and it reminds me I have Edya's elephant pattern which I would love to stitch sometime. Great to have met your goal for February.

Julierose said...

What an adorable little quilt--you've really done a fabulous job on this one!!
Love the pink stripes to go with, too...congratulations on your lovely finish...
Hugs, Julierose

Jackie said...

So lovely and that soft pink is perfect for backing and binding.

God bless.

Susan said...

I found your blog - so ignore that last email- I love this idea for a baby quilt.

Michelle Ridgway said...

Well done! Looks beautiful in the pink and greys. A gorgeous finish xx

loulee said...

What a lovely finish.

Laura said...

Congrats on this adorable baby quilt!😊

Astrid said...

Congrats on the flimsy! It's adorable, cutest elephant parade!

dq said...

So darn cute, Jenny. Now I know where you were headed with the pink and grey strips. I have a new grand arriving in the fall. Perhaps he or she will need an elephant blanket with stiped rows.