Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Sew Wot Tuesday

Our Sew Wot Tuesday rolled around again and this time Sandra was the hostess.  The mornings are getting chilly and we were welcomed into her home with a lovely warming  fire crackling away.  There is something quite comforting with the smell of a wood fire and seeing the flames crackling away.

Sandra had some show and tell.  First up was a partially completed “quilt as you go” quilt for  her aunty who now resides in a rest-home.  Sandra used up some of her long hoarded pansy fabrics for this special gift.

P1020555

Sandra’s pansy quilt

Next she showed her gorgeous hand knitted shawl, which just needs to be stitched up.  This is another family treasure, made for her sister who will be welcoming her first great-grand child.   This truly is a labour of love,  and was certainly admired by us all.

P1020558

Sandra's baby shawl

Carol had been super busy and had a lot to show.  Two sets of baby singlets and hats, plus nine knitted toys, all for donation.  “Do you knit in your sleep?”, she was asked.

P1020557

All knitted by Carol

I took along my recent finishes, a cozy pair of wooly socks, and my bright and happy froggy quilt.  Originally made for donation, I love this little quilt, so may well keep it for a while, just in case

P1020559

P1020560

My show and tell

Mary didn't have any completed projects this time, but I rather liked her pretty little work bag, so I took a photo of that.  She completed the stitchery on the front first, then turned it into this pretty little draw string bag.

P1020561

Mary’s draw string bag

I needed some advice with this years old project so took it along knowing these clever lades would be able to help me.  Way back in the past I went to a class and started this purply clam shell quilt, then bundled it away.  Not quite forgotten, because I knew it was there, it kept calling me to get it out and do some more work on it.  Constructed diagonally, I now wanted to make the rows shorter, but why would I be losing those pretty scallops edges when I started stitching the shorter rows, I wondered?  Was there a trick that I didn't know about?  Seems that’s what happens in this case, and I will have to carefully trim the edges straight when I get to the end.  Thanks for the advice, very much appreciated.  I find this curved machine stitching slow and rather trying, but have to decided to leave this project out on my sewing cabinet and work on it some time each week.  That’s the plan, anyway.

P1020571

Purple clamshells

Before we knew it, morning tea was served.  And the sun was streaming through the windows onto the coffee table, so not a good picture at all.  But take my word for it, the morning tea was delicious, as usual.  Thanks so much Sandra.  .

P1020563

Morning tea time

Most of us spent the morning knitting.  Carol was working on another baby toy, Sandra was doing a pretty yellow baby jumper, Heather was knitting a Peggy square, and I was knitting a striped baby’s jumper.  Mary was doing some embroidery, working with a kit which was a gift from one of her grand-daughters.

P1020564

Carol, Sandra and Heather

Many thanks to Sandra for a lovely morning, I know we all enjoy these Sew Wots get-togethers.

9 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

Always fun to see what your friends have been up to! Tea time is always a highlight when friends gather.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Wow, the Baby Shawl is gorgeous!

Astrid said...

Love seeing what you all are up to. All gorgeous projects. My late mom used to knit table toppers, I tried but never got the hang to it.

Preeti said...

Get-together with quilty friends, plus tea and cakes on a sunny morning. I don't know what could be better. I am jealous :-)

Jenn Jilks said...

I really enjoyed your Tuesday!

Maria said...

Lots of lovely work by the Sew Wot ladies.
Favorites are the Shawl and cute knitted toys.
Always a delicious morning tea.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

And we enjoy them too! Lovely projects and lunch too. How relaxed everyone looks...comfy. Now about your clams...I've always wanted to make a tablecloth with clams, now I'm not as sure. Hmmm...

Jackie said...

I always love your Sew Wot Tuesday posts. The ladies and you always have so much to share.

God bless.

Karen S said...

Great show and tell, especially the beautiful shawl.