Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Sunday, April 23, 2023

A Knitting Finish

When we went down to the South Island for our ten week caravan trip over Christmas/New Year I wanted to take a knitting project or two with me.  But not my two pairs of thick triple knit (12 ply) socks, they stayed home.  I've been working away slowly finishing up one pair, knitted with lavender double knit wool and using up odd and ends of purply/blue/grey sock yarn from another project.  Knitting the heels always has me sitting quietly by myself, marking off rows in my notebook.  That done, it was straight knitting again till I reached the toes, then the notebook came out again.  Before I knew it, the socks were done and all ready to stitch up the side seam.

P1020523

Stitching the side seam

I’m always so pleased with how these socks turn out.  They are nice and cozy and fit so well over the heel.  And knitting them on two needles is nice and easy and certainly suits my abilities.  I always knit two socks at once, so no second sock syndrome for me!

P1020533P1020532

All ready for winter

My holiday knitting is growing too.  I started a navy blue double knit (8 ply) cardigan and have finished the back.  Now I’m up to the armholes on the front, so this project is coming along well too.  I don't plan to have this completed for our soon to arrive winter, so will just plod away with it, no pressure to get it finished quickly.

P1020550

Up to the armhole shaping


16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such a pretty pair of socks! Your toes will be warm this winter. Gail at the Cozy Quilter

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Looking good, I cannot knit anything more than a simple knit/purl scarf.

Maggie said...

Beautiful socks and a jumper. I have heard of 4ply wool, 8 ply? It must be very fine yarn. It is always wonderful to read of your adventures and your projects. Thank you.

CathieJ said...

I love those socks. That navy sweater looks like it is going to be nice and warm. I love your header photo. Perfect for the season.

FlourishingPalms said...

Oh yay you! Those socks indeed look cozy. Such a pretty color. And I love that you make two of them simultaneously. What a great idea. I only ever STARTED one sock, and didn't make it to the second one, so your concept is much better. How nice that you'll have a new winter cardigan too. You're certainly on your knitting game!

Angela said...

Those socks will be so cosy! My Mom used to knit socks a lot. I wish I still had some of them.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

your knitting is going well, my winter sweater might be done for our winter seeing as we are just into summer but it has a long way to go.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Horizon is a really neat design, Jenny. This is working out well for a teenaged boy quilt.
Am impressed with your knitting...two at once is clever. At the armholes is where I'd have to hand it off to Mom to sort it out from there with sweater knitting. Never did finish one on my own.
Love seeing your projects!

Karrin Hurd said...

You always are making such lovely socks!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

How interesting and fascinating to see the final process of completing the socks. I know little to nothing on knitting so I always enjoy seeing the process. These socks will keep your toes warm and toasty on chilly days. Have a great week, Jenny.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your socks look warm and cozy, Jenny! I enjoy seeing what you can do with little bits of leftover yarn. Enjoy your stitching today!

Jenn Jilks said...

Nice work, Jenny! I have failed to knit.

loulee said...

Those socks do look cosy.

ButterZ said...

I do like the idea of only knitting socks on 2 needles. I haven’t seen a pattern for that before. If I had I might’ve given them a try. Always enjoy seeing what you are working on.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Pretty socks! They will be warm. I’m knitting a pair of socks now, too.

Karen S said...

I love seeing all the different socks you make. Beautifully done.
And good luck with the cardigan.
I am knitting a cardi for my grandie and it is quite a challenge. Tricky pattern and in 5 ply. I have one sleeve to go and I have filled pages in my notebook making sure I keep the pattern correct. The next one I make will be simple and basic.