Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Wednesday, April 5, 2023

Fall Back

Don't worry, I haven't had a fall.  This is how we remember to alter our clocks when daylight saving comes to an end.  It’s “Spring Forward” at the start, and “Fall Back” at the completion.  This important job belongs to Robin, he is the clock fixer-upper in our home.  I must say that I'm always most impressed that the computers and cell phones can do this task all by themselves!

We've had a busy week.  Robin had his procedure on Saturday morning so we had a drive up to Palmerston North Hospital.  I was well prepared for all the waiting around, and took my knitting along on my hospital bag, a gift from Jean of https://jeanmckinstry.blogspot.com/.  Jean made me this lovely batik bag several years ago when I was having health issues, and it traveled to many a hospital appointment with me, so I always think of it as Jean’s hospital bag.  A lady walked by and told me that she wished she had packed her knitting too, while she was doing her own share of waiting.

P1020417

I've got my knitting with me

Eventually Robin was processed and whisked away so I made my way to the hospital café for a late lunch.  Being a Saturday it wasn't too crowded with visitors, so I chose some lunch, found a seat and made myself comfy while I ate my lunch.  Then I waited, and waited until I received the phone call to come back and collect Robin.

P1020418

Lunch, hot coffee,and a good book

So back I walked along seemingly miles of corridors to find Robin sitting up having a sandwich and a cuppa.  He was given a printed report, everything seemed well, then it was home time.  After a week of being on a restricted diet, he was happy to resume our Sunday Morning cooked breakfast tradition the following day.

P1020420

Sunday morning breakfast

Some time was spent at the sewing machine during the week.  I stitched up eight neutral string blocks for a new project, more about that later when I move this further along.  These blocks will be sliced diagonally.  All these strings came from an overflowing bag which i hardly made a dent in, and I stitched them on some tracing Vilene I found lurking about.

P1020424

Neutral string blocks

Easter is coming up quickly, and we are going away in the caravan again.  You can be sure we are taking some hot cross buns and Easter Eggs away with us.  Sadly, no animals are allowed at this particular venue, so we have booked Gemma into a cattery, for only the second time in her life.  She didn't have a happy experience last time, much too noisy for here, so we are hoping that with trying a different cattery it will be easier for her. 

The ladies have been requested to bring something for supper at the caravan rally, and I thought of just the thing.  Robin's usual breakfast cereal wasn't allowed the week prior to his procedure, but he could eat rice bubbles instead.  There were such a lot left over so I made some Chocolate Crackles.  These chocolatey treats were always such a hit with my children at birthday parties, so I’m sure all the caravanners will remember them.  I’m not sure if this recipe is just an Aussie and Kiwi thing, or if these are known in other countries too?

P1020427

I’ve made two containers of Chocolate Crackles to take away

Wishing everyone a happy Easter break, however you plan to celebrate it.  Safe travels for those who will be travelling during the long weekend.

12 comments:

Maria said...

Pleased all went well for Robin and he could enjoy his cooked Brekky again.
Such a great idea to take along your knitting in Jeans bag along with a good book.
Hope Gemma likes her stay in the cattery this time.
Hubby still loves chocolate crackles so I’m sure the caravaners will too.
Happy Easter and safe travels .

The Cozy Quilter said...

I always bring a bag with knitting, cross stitching and a book with me if I’m going to be waiting. So nice to have a special bag for this purpose. Glad that Robin’s procedure went well. Take care.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Happy to hear Robin got on just fine for his procedure and you were comfy during the waiting. It means everything to be well prepared. Delicious breakfast. We have a cereal called Rice Crispies here perhaps the same as yours. What a great and easy to transport treat you’ve made. Love those string blocks. Eager to hear about a new project.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Oh, do post a recipe for the chocolate crackles. They may be similar to our Rice Krispy treats. Have fun on your trip.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

your chocolate crackles look like they are made out of the cereal that we use for making Rice Krispy bars - I think you can do a chocolate version as well - ours are made in a large rectangular pan and then cut in bar sizes.
Glad all went well for the hospital procedure - have a fun Easter. I'm sure your cat will survive one weekend away from you but considering you don't let her out of the caravan I'm surprised you couldn't bring her along.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Usually, my body struggles with the Spring time change, but this year, I didn’t have any problems. Knitting is a perfect waiting room activity. I have a similar recipes for the chocolate/cereal treats. Happy Easter and safe travels.

Nancy J said...

So good to know your bag is being well used and standing up to the travels it has. Safe travels Jenny, we will be staying home, I have a production run of bags in process, so plenty to keep me at the machine.Gemma, hope you can tolerate the different cattery, our Felicity hated any place that was not home, and at one, she hid under the blanket all the time.

loulee said...

I think chocolate coated breakfast cereal is a thing the world over!
Good that Robin is recovering well and still has a good appetite.

Jackie said...

I am so happy to read that everything went well with Robin.

I enjoyed that book, but I pretty much like anything by that author. I also would like the recipe for those chocolate crackles.

God bless.

Ivani said...

The chocolate cracklers look delicious. Well, now I am off looking for the receipe. LOL
Your string neutral blocks are pretty. Enjoy the caravan. Have a safe trip, Happy Easter, Jenny.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

I am so glad to hear that Robin's procedure went well. The chocolate crackle looks so yummy and I am sure will be a welcome treat. Safe travels. Happy Easter.

Karen S said...

I always found I had plenty of time for knitting and reading when I spent a lot of time in waiting rooms. Sometime I actually enjoyed having time to myself with no interruptions.