Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Sunday, April 16, 2023

Binding, do you love it or hate it?

I’m in the “I love hand stitching the binding down” camp, and that's what I've been doing on this warm Autumn day.  This pleasant task signifies the end of the quilt making process, and I must say that I rather like those dinky little binding clips. 

P1020519

Binding time

This quilt top had been finished for a while, and I recently discovered it all rolled up with the already prepared backing and binding.  It was constructed similar to Happy Blocks, the piece of delightful frog fabric was cut into squares and framed in different colours.  Time to get it out and complete it, I thought.  Pinning the layers together was the next step, done outside on the patio table.

P1020360

All pinned up

Machine quilting was next.  In the ditch between the blocks and borders and around the frogs, then finished with serpentine stitch on the diagonal.  This took me a couple of weeks to complete, making sure I took plenty of breaks to look after my back.

P1020370

Machine quilting

There, all done.  It looks quite cute and colourful, I think.  Someone is sure to love it.

P1020525

P1020526

It’s interesting that this little quilt for donation is made up of several pieces of donated fabric.  The cute kissy kissy frogs and the lime green border fabrics were in one of our Sew Wots donation fabric piles looking for a new home.  I really liked these fabrics so they came home with me.  And the spriggy backing fabric came from my elderly neighbour’s stash when she moved out.

20 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

Very cute quilt, it will be loved! Happy stitching!

The Cozy Quilter said...

This quilt will make a child very happy! I like hand sewing the binding too.

Ivani said...

WOW Jenny, it is lovely, it will make a child smile, and it will be loved. Congrats on a pretty donation quilt. Have a nice week.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

I'm with you, I like the hand stitching part of binding too!

Berkshire Tatter said...

I am in the I love hand binding camp. It is the finish of a quilt but best is that it is quiet stitching time. Nice little quilt.

Deb A said...

Sew darn cute! I'm in the hand stitching the binding down camp. It is relaxing and you can check out all the fun fabrics in the quilt up close, one last time! Enjoy your stitching.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Congratulations on an adorable finish! Hand stitched binding looks so nice, but I often machine stitch mine more for convenience than anything else.

Karrin Hurd said...

Cute quilt. I don't mind binding at all.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your frog quilt is adorable! I love the pretty bright green you used to border the frogs. I'm in the "love to hand-stitch the binding" group - it's always been my favorite slow stitching!

Sarah said...

Super cute quilt! I'm afraid I'm in the hate sewing the binding!

Jenn Jilks said...

What a lovely project!

Miaismine said...

Your header photo is lovely! Beautiful stitching! I am with you! I love handstitching the binding down, unless it’s a kitchen item/baby quilt (they will get washed often). Yes! I love the binding clips in various colors!
Good for you, taking care of yourself and your back! Your quilt came out lovely and looks super cuddly!
Happy stitching!

AnnieO said...

Cobbling together lots of pieces is a quilter's delight, making all the colors sing.
I like binding clips too, but don't hand stitch all my bindings, really only the smallest of quilts that I make--too many in the pipeline :)

Sharon said...

Very cute! I love that froggy fabric.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Such a fun and happy quilt, Jenny. So great you was able to rescue the fabrics to create this beauty. Have a lovely week.

ButterZ said...

Great finish. I’ve been away so am catching up on blogs. Being away is fun but the cleanup and unpacking is a pain.

Quilter Kathy said...

What a wonderful quilt you created from the fabrics from many different places! Enjoy your binding.. it's my favourite also!

Jackie said...

Lovely and happy quilt.

Me, well now that I actually have figured out how to bind a quilt properly, I love it. Just wish the hand sewing down did not take forever.

God bless.

Maria said...

I’m usually machine the bindings down for kids quilts and hand quilt ones that don’t get washed as often.
The Frggy Quilt is cute.

Karen S said...

I don't mind doing the binding.
Great to see your quilt finished and looking great. Well done.