Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Wednesday, November 30, 2022

Sew Wot Christmas Lunch

It’s that time of the year when all the end of year functions happen.  We gathered at The Emporium for our last Sew Wot get-together of the year, our Christmas Lunch and gift swap.  The Emporium has a pretty little gift shop in front of the café, so we all had a browse around, looking for a bargain or two.

P1000810 P1000811

Lots of gift items on display

It was so nice that everyone could make it on the day, and we also welcomed former member Moira who joined us for lunch.  The menu was studied, we made our choices, and there was plenty of chatter going on while we waited for our meals.  Helen had brought along some Show and Tell, made from a kits she purchased at Symposium.  These clever little race tracks had pockets for little cars and rolled up for ease of carrying.  She had made two, one blue and one green, just the thing for the little boys to take on a car journey, Helen declared.

P1000812

Helen’s race track and cars

Then the food arrived – as usual I had dithered long and hard over what to order, should I have the hot cakes, macaroni cheese, or maybe the quiche?  Why oh why is it so difficult for me to decide?  In the end I chose something completely different, leek and potato soup, plus a piece of chocolate cake.  My reasoning was if I was “only” having soup, I really needed a piece of cake too!  As it happened, my soup was so nice and thick, and served with toast, I didn't have any room for the cake at all.  That came home with me to share with Robin after dinner. 

P1000813

My lunch, soup and toast

Not so Jude, she had no trouble at all eating her ice-cream sundae.She didn't let it beat her!

P1000814

Just look at that!

With our meals over, it was time for the gifts.  The basket was passed around ad we each chose a parcel, how exciting!  The theme this year was to make a serviette holder.

P1000815

Pass the parcel

And this was in my parcel, made by Sandra, thanks so much.

P1000817P1000823

Thank you Sandra

Heather picked my parcel, I made the little pouch from a black batik fabric and found some pretty floral serviettes to pop inside, plus a little chocolate, just because.

P1000689

For Heather

Most of us used the same pattern, but with our individual fabric choices, they all looked quite different.  I gathered them up and put them on a side table for a photo op.

P1000820

All beautiful

Our friendly café owner came and took our photo for us, I always appreciate café and restaurant staff doing this request for me.

P1000821

Standing – Carol, Sandra, Helen, Heather, Jenny

Seated – Mary, Jude, Moira

Mary handed us each a calendar of our Sew Wot meeting for next year, starting again in late January.  Robin and I will be on a long South Island holiday so I won’t be joining the ladies till some time in March.  We have all enjoyed a great year of friendship, show and tell, and tasty morning teas, thanks so much ladies.

8 comments:

ButterZ said...

Seems like it was a wonderful gathering with lovely gifts too.

Anonymous said...

Sew nice to have a special group of friends! Gail at the Cozy Quilter

Gretchen Weaver said...

What a lovely meal with friends. That was a LOT of ice cream your friend had! Happy stitching!

Annette said...

How lovely to have likeminded friends to enjoy get togethers. Look forward to your travels next year.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

seems like such a nice group of ladies. Have fun on your travels

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Love the group photo!

Jackie said...

You are so right, even though you all used the same pattern, the fabric choices made all the difference.

Love the group photo.

God bless.

Janice said...

A lovely way to end the year. The gifts all look lovely