Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Saturday, December 3, 2022

Happy Blocks for RSC

During the year I’ve been stitching the easy Happy Blocks using a pile of donated squares from my neighbour.  Dorothy had such a lot of 5 inch squares that I sorted them into colours, and separated any designs I could use for donation quilts for children.

This quilt features blocks which would appeal to a young boy – wild animals, dogs, sport, music, boats, travel, that sort of thing.  I had to find a few extra squares from my stash to give me the required number of squares.  Each month when the Raibow Scrap Challenge  colour of the month was announced, I selected suitable squares, rummaged around to find some co-ordinating strips, and soon had them stitched up.

P1030381P1030776-640x480

Red and yellow/gold Happy Blocks

This week I’ve had all the blocks laid out on my design bed, rearranged them several times, then got stitching.   For once Gemma didn't jump up on the bed to help, she must have been snoozing somewhere and didn't realize what I was getting up to. I really like using the webbing method, I know it’s been around for a while, but as usual, I was late to the party.  In fact it took me a while to get it clear in my head, but now I know what I’m doing.  With the blocks all webbed then stitched together, I added borders, and the top was complete.

P1000825

The top is done

I always like to get the binding done early so it is ready and waiting.  Scrappy brown and tan binding I decided, using up a fat quarter of an unloved cream and brown print which I knew I would never use.  Then I added several scraps and strips to make it long enough – a good way to use up some of those small pieces hanging about.  The binding is pressed and neatly rolled up, joining other bindings in a basket till required.

P1000839

Scrappy binding done

I've really enjoyed making these Happy Blocks this year, and have found enough kiddies prints to make one for a boy and a girl next year for my Rainbow Scrap Stitching sewing.  I’ll be starting a little later than usual next year as we will be doing a long caravan trip and I won’t be taking my sewing machine with me.  But I’ll certainly be reading the RSC link-up each week in the New Year to see what projects everyone else is starting.

12 comments:

ButterZ said...

You have done well with your blocks

Maria said...

Your blocks have made a great quilt and the scrappy binding will look good.

Julierose said...

Lovely finish on your RSC blocks--nice work hugs, Julierose

The Cozy Quilter said...

Great quilt--sure to be loved by whoever receives it! Have a wonderful time on your caravan trip!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

good for you leaving the sewing machine behind I always just take hand work with me when traveling I don't want the noise of the machine along with me

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I like webbing a quilt top, too, Jenny! It's a handy trick fir keeping all the blocks in order. Your Happy blocks are definitely making a fun and happy quilt. It's going to be well-loved!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats on getting your Happy Block quilt for the RSC together without the help of your "studio assistant", Jenny! That's one of my favorite blocks to make. Webbing a quilt? Not my idea of a fun technique (because I end up with everything a tangled mess.) SEW glad it works for you!

loulee said...

Your happy block quilt turned out great.

Gwyned Trefethen said...

I can imagine a delighted young lady and boy having fun picking out favorite images on their special "lovey". Wishing you safe travels in the new year.

grammajudyb said...

A very happy block for a young boy. They are fun blocks to make! I’ll need to get mine, from RSC 22, out of the project box to see if I can get a quilt together. It won’t happen til after the New Year, because we are away from home for a bit!

Deb said...

Great quilt project there. It sure suits the RSC and is a wonderful donation quilt too.
Thank you for sharing! Stay safe and sew on!

Janice said...

A great project for RSC. Almost an I spy quilt. A great idea for ongoing years.