Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Thursday, December 15, 2022

Holiday Handwork

While packing for our South Island caravan holiday I had to make sure I had plenty of hand work to do.  First, some knitting.  I quite enjoy knitting on car journeys, so I cast on a double knit cardigan/jacket for myself.    I bought the big cone of pure New Zealand navy  8ply, double knit wool at a good price so I’m very pleased with that.  The design is reasonably plain so should be fine for car knitting.

P1000687

A cardigan for me

And just in case I feel like a change, I gathered up some part balls of yarn to made two toddlers jumpers.  One for a boy, and one for a girl.  Any leftovers can be used for baby beanies.  I had some of this yarn given to me so it will be good to use it up.

P1000841

Extra projects, just in case

I really need a stitchery project too  so decided to do Noah’s Ark. This had been on my mind to do for some time.  Bur first I had to get the pattern enlarged – it was designed for stranded cotton and I like to do my stitcheries in Perle no 5.  Gemma jumped up to help me with when I got the light box out to start tracing. 

P1000786

She is such a big help

It’s nice to have some hand work to do in case the weather turns bad and we decide not to get out and about exploring.   Or sitting out side after dinner in the cool of the evening.   But if not much gets done, it doesn't really matter – if will be available if I need it.

Let me tell you about our journey down to the South Island, there was certainly a speed bump involved.  Tuesday was a lovely day, nice and sunny, just right for a trip across Cook Strait.  But it wasn’t to be.  We left Plimmerton in good time for check in, and arrived at the terminal.  There the staff told us that the 1.00pm sailing was cancelled, due to Covid wrecking havoc on staff numbers, and it was unable to sail!   Turn around and go home we were told, keep your phone turned on, and wait for an update. So we headed back to Plimmerton camp.    As the day wore on, a message came through to advise that we had been booked on the 2.00am sailing on Wednesday morning.  It was a long day waiting, and we sensibly indulged in a Nana nap in the afternoon.

Back to Wellington we drove at 11.30pm, lined up in the queue at the booking office.  Here we were given our boarding pass and various large coloured tags to display on the dashboard.  I thought the “old folks label” was very apt!  We also had to fill in a declaration for Gemma – she was taking her journey inside the caravan. 

P1010051

Our various tags

P1010044

Waiting

For a treat, we had decided to book into the Premium Lounge, a first for us.  A little pricey, but very comfy indeed, and no children allowed. As it turned out there were only about ten of us in the lounge, but we were told that sometimes it is at full capacity, so it made for a nice quiet sailing, as we all tried to get a little shut-eye as  the trip continued.  As we arrived we were presented with a glass of orange juice.  It was  breakfast service  on this trip, so we enjoyed bacon, eggs, and other delights from the self service counter.  Pastries were available, hot tea and coffee, and a trolley of sushi was on offer later in the evening, or should I say, very early morning.  It certainly was a nice experience, and I would like to sample it again during a day time sailing.

P1010045P1010046

Breakfast at 2.00am

The ferry arrived in Picton at 5.30am, the break of dawn, and we were soon off and away to Koromiko.  We were so pleased that this camp had a policy of “arrive anytime, settle in, then make payment by direct debit”.  So we did,  settled down and climbed into bed for a couple of hours, catching up on that missing sleep.  It had been a very  long day and night! 

9 comments:

Nancy J said...

What an early start, guess it was eerie travelling on the water at night. Hope you did get some decent sleep time when you arrived.

ButterZ said...

How wonderful. It’s a shame I wasn able to join you for this wonderful breakfast

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

traveling at night can wear you out not sleeping like that - the lounge looks so nice and comfy and I hope you were able to doze off a little bit. A lot of knitting on this trip I can see and it is so easy to pick up more yarn when needed.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

The lounge appears to be a grand place for the trip. Always take multiple projects whenever I travel because I never know if I’ll be unexpectedly delayed for an extended time. Enjoy your caravan journey and safe travels.

Janice said...

I’m sure you will get more stitching done than I did on our holiday. The projects will be a nice reminder of your trip.

Connie said...

Sorry about the lack of sleep, but this is going to be a marvelous adventure . . . so happy that we get to tag along. I too have to take a project . . . these hands just need something to do when I'm sitting :)

FlourishingPalms said...

Love seeing what you pulled together in the way of travel handwork. I do exactly the same thing when we're heading out on 18 trips to visit our children. One time I forgot to take along a NEEDLE, of all things, and so was unable to English paper piece. Now I'm sure to take a couple different types of things, so I always have something prepared. Your navy sweater is going to be really nice. Sorry to know how your water-crossing worked out - in the wee hours of the morning - but your decision to upgrade looks like the right one. I've only ever visited the South island, so it will be interesting to see what you explore.

Jackie said...

You definitely have enough to keep you busy during your trip.

That was a very early start to your journey across the water.

God bless.

Raewyn said...

Gosh what an adventure just getting your holiday started! Just as well you have plenty to keep your fingers busy while you are away!