Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Monday, December 19, 2022

Just a little Shopping

Black thread  - that’s what I needed for my traveling stitchery project.  Luckily we found out where the LQS was and I made a quick visit.  I was after Perle No 5 in black, and luckily they had some.  Then while browsing around,  found some nice stripy fabric which could work well as the borders on my Noah's Ark stitchery.  Or not, perhaps I should have waited till this project was completed to see if it would go well with the stitchery blocks.  Never mind, I’ve bought it now.

P1010062

My purchases

I’m not expecting to make our South Island Trip a Quilting Shop Hop, but I’m sure I’ll come across a few shops which will pique my interest.  The Sewing Store at Blenheim had a great range of fabrics and tools and I received nice friendly service.  Always a must have bonus for me as I'm sure we have all been in shops where the friendly service has been sadly lacking.

P1010058P1010060

Inside The Sewing Store

I’m sure you would like an update on our South Island Adventure.  We drove off  the Inter Island Ferry at 5.30AM, drove 8km to Koromiko,  opened the gate, chose a site, kept the car and van hooked up, pulled the blinds and curtains and climbed into bed.  We were so tired, but Gemma took a while to settle down, no doubt still a little anxious after her time alone in the caravan for several hours crossing Cook Strait.

P1010052

Gemma is outside after a bit of shut eye

This is a pretty camp, surrounded by beautiful mature native totara trees.   For book lovers like me, this camp has a rather quirky book swap set up.  The books are inside an old fridge, with a power cord seemingly plugged into the totara tree.  I had a book to swap, and came away with a couple more.  In my view there is nothing worse that not having book to read at bedtime.  The birds were singing in the trees all day long, and across the road came the occasional bleat of sheep in the paddocks.  I loved the look of this old barn, certainly rustic, and it has it’s own type of beauty, I think.  We sent several hours during the afternoon sitting outside,  just relaxing, and chatting to the campers next to us.  .

P1010055P1010054

At Koromiko Camp

The following morning was wet, and we moved on to Blenheim.   After choosing a site, settling in, and paying our camp fees, we had a quick lunch then set out to find a laundromat.  May as well spend a couple of hours doing the laundry on such a wet day, we reasoned.  The laundromat was busy, and one customer came in and commandeered five large washing machines!  She did mention that her machine at home had broken down and a  new one was not available till well after Christmas.  Seems she will be looking forward to many more visits while waiting for her new machine to arrive.

The next coupe of days we went exploring, and discovered an  “Old English Pub” for lunch.  Stepping inside, we were warmly welcomed indeed.  With thick ceiling beams, a large brick fireplace, and plenty of brass and jugs everywhere, the Cork and Keg certainly had an English country pub ambiance.

P1010069P1010070

The Cork and Keg

We placed our lunch orders, and sat out in the beer garden, sheltered with plenty of sun umbrellas and a large sun shade.  Our lunches arrived, popcorn shrimp for me, something I’d never had before, and buffalo wings for him, and Robin indulged in a large glass of Guinness.  I’m not really a beer drinker but I can remember having the occasional small Guinness myself when we traveled around Ireland some years ago – it seemed the thing to do at the time!

P1010071

In the Beer Garden

What’s that sign we spotted driving back to camp?  Fresh strawberries were for sale – just what we needed.  Not only that, but strawberry snow freeze ice-creams too.  The car park was packed, and happy customers sat outside licking their ice-creams.  And if they were anything like me, trying to finish the ice-cream before it all melted and ran down my hand.

P1010076

A giant strawberry, and Robin waiting with the ice-creams

Gemma had been wandering in and out of the caravan on her lead, but the caravan next to us had a young terrier dog which got excited when Gemma poked her nose outside.  We waited till they went out in their car, before letting her outside in peace.  Otherwise, she is happy to rest inside, and particularly likes to snooze inside the lap top bag while I am busy blogging.  She is such a big help!

P1010079

Relaxing, that’s what cats do best

10 comments:

Kim said...

How fabulous to be travelling around the South Island of NZ this Christmas! And....a special bonus if you happen upon the odd craft shop or two. I did smile at the photo of Gemma snoozing in the laptop bag. Love the quilt on the bed...'tis so pretty! The fabric you chose for the Noah's Ark stitchery is a fun one. If it doesn't suit I am sure you will use it on another stitching pretty. Enjoy your travels. A Merry Christmas to you and your husband, Jenny.

ButterZ said...

Sounds like a lovely time. That striped fabric would also make a fantastic binding

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great start to your adventures! Gemma looks comfy in the laptop bag! A good book and something to keep your hands busy…you are all set for a relaxing holiday. The ice cream sound yummy! Safe travels! Gail at the Cozy Quilter

Janice said...

The friendly quilt shop was a nice bonus. You’ll be able to get cracking on your stitching now.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

your cat is so silly :) nice to find a quilt shop already so soon into your trip and even if you aren't looking for them I hope you find a couple more. I have never seen campsites set up on someone's farm like that here in the states.

Maria said...

Lucky you were able to buy the black thread and I love your strippy fabric.
If it doesn't suit Noah's Ark will make a great binding...

Tired Teacher 2 said...

The library in the old refrigerator is clever! The books are safe from the weather. I like the old barn: wouldn’t you like to know the stories it could tell. Enjoy the remainder of your trip.

Birthe Marie said...

It looks like you are having a wonderful trip. Nice to see pictures from a completely different place in the world, and it's strange to think that the seasons are completely opposite from where I live.
Visiting quilt shops when we're traveling is just something we quilters have to do, and I think it's normal that we end up with more than we planned. The striped fabric was nice and will be perfect for the closing edge of the Noah Ark quilt. Have a nice Christmas holiday!

Karen S said...

So many lovely places to see, and getting in some shopping is a bonus.

Jackie said...

Looks like the weather changed and you had some lovely sun.

Enjoy the trip and please keep sharing it with us all.

God bless.