Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Thursday, November 3, 2022

Borders, Bindings, and Physio

I’m getting there with my baby quilt, using up some of those multitude of flag blocks I made a while ago.  This week I’ve been assembling the blocks, adding borders  and making some scrappy binding.  I keep pieces of leftover binding in a basket, and found a length of pink which will go nicely.  Being Murphy’s Law, not nearly long enough of course,.  But I could work with that,  I chopped it into smaller lengths and added various pieces of pink to make it a long scrappy binding..

P1000683

Dark blue floral borders

The weekly physio sessions are ongoing, and Robin’s knee is continuing to show small gains each time with flexibility.  I drive him down for his appointment, then have a plan to fill in the hour while I wait.  He certainly doesn't want me in there with him while he is put through his paces, and other patients are doing exercises as well, so their privacy must be respected.  The hospital café is open, so I order a coffee, sip away and catch up on some quilting posts.

P1000677

Morning coffee time

Then I make my way back to the Physio Department, sit in the waiting room out of sight of the exercise class, and do a few rows of knitting.  This lovely batik bag was a gift from  Jean who blogs at All Points of the Compass several years ago to cheer me up while I was undergoing radiation treatment.  I look upon it as my “hospital bag” and use it to take documents, knitting, phone, camera, book, or anything else I might need during my hospital appointments.  Or in this case, being Robin’s support person and driver.  Many thanks Jean, I love my batik hospital bag!  As you can see, I’ve just started a new knitting project – my socks are almost at the toe stage so I have to read the pattern carefully and count rows, it’s better to do that at home.

P1000678

A few rows of hospital knitting

When we return home from the physio class, Robin needs to sit a while with the icepack wrapped around his knee.  That knee certainly knows it has had a workout.

So what else have we been doing?  Our local strawberry farm “Shirley’s” are now picking the first of their crop.  We came back with two large punnets, one to eat now, and the other one Robin hulled, halved, and froze.  Shirley’s now has a “real fruit ice-cream” cart, so I’m sure we will buy one of these each next time we come calling.  We like to have strawberries for breakfast with our cereal, and strawberries for dessert too occasionally.

P1000669

Freshly picked strawberries for breakfast

Robin was the BBQ king on Saturday night, and cooked a rolled stuffed lamb shoulder, it was a good size so I’m guessing it was actually a hogget (next size up from lamb).  All that tasty stuffing was trying to escape!  There's nothing like a roast on the BBQ,  it smelt and tasted delicious. The probe tells us when the meat is cooked, somehow or other it magically relates this information to Robin’s cell phone.  How does that work, I wonder, but I’m sure there is a logical explanation.

P1000674

BBQ lamb roast for dinner

So that’s what has been happening at our place this week.  I’m still the designated driver so things are a bit busy for me, out and about with appointments and shopping.  I’m sure Robin can hardly wait to be cleared to drive again.


8 comments:

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

That lamb roast looks wonderful! So do the strawberries. Glad Robin is doing well.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

A couple years ago when my daughter was in and out of the hospital so much for a couple months I was doing like you I had a to go bag packed with yarn and needles and things and would get coffee in the coffee shop or be sitting and knitting or crochet it seems the easiest to take along - I know some would take hand piecing project but I'm always afraid of dropping needles and do not want to get down to look for them.
The roast looks wonderful - I wish Mike enjoyed to barbecue but he doesn't cook at all and I don't care to barbecue so all gets cooked inside

Preeti said...

Wishing Robin a speedy recovery. The lamb looks so yummy and the strawberries so fresh - isn't good food therapy in itself? Wishing you lots of sewing mojo.

Julierose said...

We've never done a roast on our grill--that looks really good!!
Happy that robin's knee is responding to PT so well...it is nice to have a handwork bag to pass the time while waiting--hugs, Julierose

Nancy J said...

I am so happy your bag is handy for the visits. .Driving, you will be the #1 lady for that right now. Strawberries, we are getting about 8 a day from our plants, those first luscious ones are so welcome.

Jackie said...

What a lovely bag to take your projects in.

I am glad that Robin's leg is getting more and more movement.

God bless.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Your time at the hospital echo what I used to do when I accompanied Tony for his weekly session with a doctor that went on for 10 months. I would have a London Fog Tea from the Starbucks, only time I've ever gone to Starbucks and it was delicious, take it to the waiting room and then stitch. It really made the time go quickly Anyway, the main thing is Robin sounds like he's doing so well and barbequing that delicious meat as well. Good eating! How neat that it is your strawberry time while we are facing winter now. Beautiful bag from kind Jean!

Janice said...

You're making very good use of your time waiting for Robin. It's nice to be able to sit, guilt free, and have a coffee and catch up on blogs, as well as work on some knitting. I'm glad he is making progress.