Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Sunday, October 30, 2022

Lucky Me!

How about this for a wonderful birthday gift!  A box full of wonderful hand spun wool from my old school friend Merilyn.

P1000668

This  arrived by courier

I had a birthday telephone call from Merilyn the other day and she told me that she hadn't been able to find a suitable Jenny gift so far to send for me.  Then she went on to relate that she was busy spinning and plying double knit wool.  I like to use double knit wool together with 4ply sock yarn to knit my thick socks, I mentioned.  And so the perfect Jenny gift presented itself, she packed up some of her precious yarn and sent it off.  There will be plenty of nice thick socks coming out of this box, and maybe a small jumper or maybe a beanie or two, we’ll see how it goes.

And talking of socks, my current sock knitting is coming along nicely.  The grey/purple pair are 12 ply, grey double knit together with purple sock yarn.  And the burgundy red pair is 4ply sock yarn, using up odd yarn and tiny balls in this colourway, there will be plenty of ends to deal with when I sew them up.

P1000643

Current sock knitting

As soon as I get these completed, I’ll be able to start a new pair of warm cozy  socks using Merilyn’s gorgeous hand spun wool. I can hardly await to get started.

All this made me reflect on our ancestors way back in the mists of time when they first  plucked tufts of wool from the undergrowth,  and rubbed it through their fingers.  Who were the first to reason that these tufts of wool could be turned into a continuous yarn, I wonder, and then go on to make a drop spindle?  Interesting questions indeed.  And these days, we have a whole world of beautiful yarn at our fingertips, or should I say, on our knitting needles and crochet hooks.




16 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

What a lovely gift, enjoy your knitting!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

what a nice present to receive - have fun knitting up your socks

CathieJ said...

What a wonderful gift for your birthday. I enjoy seeing all of your knitted socks.

Created by Kathi said...

Happy birthday Jenny! Hope your day was wonderful... how nice to get an unexpected gift too!

Kathi

ButterZ said...

How lucky are you to receive a lovely gift.
Happy birthday too.

The Cozy Quilter said...

What a wonderful gift from your friend! Can’t wait to see what you will make!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Happy Birthday, Jenny!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is definitely the perfect gift for you, Jenny! Your socks are looking good, too. Enjoy your stitching today!

Karrin Hurd said...

What a wonderful birthday gift, beautiful yarn, and Happy Birthday by the way! Hope you have a great week!

Sarah said...

Happy birthday! What a lovely thoughtful present.

Jackie said...

The sock knitting is coming right along. I love the colours. What a wonderful "Jenny" gift. You will be able to knit some really warm socks with it.

God bless.

Ivani said...

Have fun knitting with this special gift.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Pondering how things came about is fun. I often think about things like that,too. I read somewhere that fishermen were some of the first knitters. I know you’ll enjoy knitting with the luscious looking wool.

Janice said...

What a delightful and practical gift. Your tootsies will be extra toasty in homespun socks.

Quilter Kathy said...

Interesting thoughts about the origins of yarn making! Enjoy your knitting!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Such a lovely gift. The fibers looks so soft. I am so intrigued by sock knitting. These are going to be so warm and cozy.