Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Sew Wot Tuesday and Birthday Goodies

I was the Tuesday Sew Wot Hostess this week, and the ladies kindly came armed with birthday goodies for me. My goodness, what a lot of exciting parcels to open, I was overwhelmed!   Just look at the lovely blue apron I received – everyone knows I like to wear an apron because I am a messy cook!  Other gifts were  two lovely plants to put in the garden, a piece of Christmas tartan scotty dog fabric, and a gorgeous wood trivet.  I really had to look closely at that, to try and work out how it was made –  with a router, someone said.  Chocolates, a jar of relish, and the tiniest cross stitched caravan ornament I had seen.  This was a beautiful gem, and will be hung up in the caravan as we go abut our travels.

P1000666

P1000663P1000664

Thank you so much ladies, I appreciate your thoughtfulness

With all this excitement over, we settled down and had some show and tell.  Sandra had stitched two pretty little baby quilts to donate to the local Plunket babies.  I rather like the design she stitched, simple but so effective.  I’m sure I have plenty of charm squares tucked away and this would be a perfect way to use them up.

P1000657

Two baby quilts by Sandra

Carol had been busy using up her odds and ends of wool to make small teddies for the Wanganui Neo Natal Unit.  Here they are trying out those baby quilts for size.

P1000658

Teddies for new babies in hospital

Heather had a finish too, a pretty little baby’s jumper made with pastel variegated yarn.  Knitted in feather and fan stitch, she told me.  My mother used to knit feather and fan babies cloths years ago, not a design I have ever mastered, it looks rather difficult to do.

P1000659

Heather is hiding behind her creation

My pretty embroidered Scottish table cloth was passed around to be admired, and I also showed my recently completed blue flannel cot quilt.  This as made using up some odds and ends of flannel fabric I had left over, so it was good to use them up.

P1000640P1000631

My show and tell

Robin arrived back home in a taxi to join us for morning tea.  I had dropped him off at his weekly physio class, but as I was playing Sew Wot hostess for the morning, suggested he get a cab home.  Everyone was interested to see how he was getting on after his knee replacement.  So he sat amongst us all, chatted away, and was waited on with morning tea!

Sandra, Carol, Heather and Jude were busy knitting, and Mary was working on her hexagons.  Helen was crocheting her hubby a hat, but the pattern seemed to be a bit tricky.  Luckily Mary was sitting beside her to lend a helping hand.  Several of us declared we would have undone it and started on an easier pattern.  Not so, said Helen, she was determined to master this!  I did a little stitching on a secret squirrel Christmas project.

Our Sew Wot Christmas lunch is coming up fast, and Mary reminded us to get our secret swap gifts completed.  I was one who was lagging behind, mine was cut but not yet stitched.  So after lunch I got on with it, head down, stitching away, and can now announce the gift is finally completed.  With several weeks to spare, thank goodness.

We had another lovely morning, as usual, and many thanks to all for the gifts, much appreciated.

11 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

Such a fun group or friends! Lovely gifts and great projects made by everyone.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

sounds like you had a great morning group and so many lovely presents to enjoy. So many lovely small quilts and knitting items.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

The gifts are indeed lovely, and I know you’ll enjoy every one of them. The teddies are adorable decorated with the bow ties.

loulee said...

Lots of lovely birthday gifts.
You ladies always have so much going on.

Ivani said...

Your friends group is so cool,Jenny! Everyone made beautiful pieces and sounds you always have a great time with them. Lovely birthday gifts.

Karen S said...

You always have a lovely time when you get together.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Another wonderful Sew Wots post. Very neat gifts and always, the interesting projects. Yes, I agree Feather and Fan looks difficult but does give a lovely effect, doesn't it. You have great friends there Jenny.

Connie said...

How lovely to meet and be creative with your friends.

Maria said...

You were indeed spoilt for your birthday with all those lovely gifts….
So many beautiful projects the ladies had for show and tell.
Pretty Feather and Fan cardigan, I used make that pattern for my babies and grand babies….
Pleased Robin is doing so well.

Jackie said...

Your group always has such wonderful treasures to share. Love the Teddy Bears and the quilts. The little sweater is lovely.

God bles.

Janice said...

What thoughtful gifts the girls came armed with. I know that apron will be used on special occasions. Like you, I’m impressed with the simple, yet effective, baby quilt pattern. Robin timed his return well, to join in on morning tea.