Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Sunday, October 23, 2022

Plenty of Slow Stitching Here

I was thrilled with the birthday gift I received from my daughter Nicky.  Several years ago I had purchased  a partially completed embroidered tablecloth with unused threads from a fabric fair. That would be a good project to finish, I thought.  But…… time went by and I didn't do a single stitch, so asked my daughter Nicky if she could complete it for me – sometime.  Out of sight, out of mind, and I truly had forgotten all about it.  We got together for a birthday lunch on Thursday and Nicky presented me with a parcel, it was the completed tablecloth!

Tablecloth

Opening the parcel

The amount of stitching she completed was phenomenal, finishing the cross stitch and very close stitching in the figures.  There are big burly Scots in the Highland Games, girls dancing, and kilted gentlemen playing the bagpipes.  And as well, she taught herself how to crochet the pretty lace edging from tutorials off the internet.  I am so proud of her – it really was a big ask.  Nicky told me she was determined to finish it for this birthday.

P1000640

Such a lot of work in this

My birthday was today, Sunday, so Robin and I discussed options on how to celebrate.  Out for an evening meal, or perhaps lunch?  In the end we decided on a Birthday Breakfast and went to a “new to us” café, Gorge, in Otaki.

P1000656

Gorge Café

There was an interesting feature wall inside the café, driftwood from the local beach.

P1000652

Wall art

The café menu had us pondering for a while, perhaps I’ll have the hot cakes and fruit?  But a little further down I saw kippers on the menu, that will do me, I thought.  Robin couldn't go past the Big Breakfast.

P1000653

That looks nice

The kippers were advertised as locally caught, but I was sure that we don’t have herrings in our waters.  So I checked with the serving staff to find out.  Yes, the fish, Kawhai,  was caught at Waikanae Beach, then smoked.  I had tried “real” kippers in Scotland at a B&B while travelling around the UK, and this Kiwi version was just as tasty. 

I asked the young staff member if she would mind taking our photo and handed her my camera. Click, click, click she went, then handed it back.  But……on checking there were no photos there at all.  Rather than call her back and maybe embarrass her, we each took a snap of the other.  This reminded me of another occasion when we were out and another young lady had no idea how to work a camera.  She had to sent an older staff member over to our table who had no trouble at all.

P1000654P1000655

Finishing off our breakfasts

I’ve had a lovely day today, breakfast out, phone calls and messages from friends and family, and no cooking all day!  That’s always a bonus, isn't it.

16 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

Happy birthday! Your breakfasts looked delicious! The project your daughter finished for you is wonderful! Cross stitching, crocheting?! This was a true gift of love. Happy stitching!

Created by Kathi said...

Happy Happy birthday! Great photo of you and your daughter as she presented you with such a lovely table cover :)
Kathi

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I hadn't thought about young people not knowing how a camera works - they know how all the other stuff works! You are both looking well and Happy Birthday!

Ivani said...

Here in Brazil it's still Sunday, Happy Birthday, Jenny!!!
May God bless your life and days to come. Thanks for your frienship.
Hugs

Janice said...

Happy birthday. Your breakfast outing looks delightful.

FlourishingPalms said...

Well, happy, happy birthday to you! Your celebration seems just perfect to me... a meal out with your very best friend. :-) And what a gift from Nicky! Wow! That tablecloth is wonderful! She came up with the ideal surprise, didn't she? I'm impressed that she's skilled at needlework. Of course she learned it from you, didn't she? A chip off the old block? And I love that she figured out how to crochet the edges. Technology used that way is an amazing resource. But I'm giggling about the picture-taking waitress! The very same thing has happened to me when I've asked a wait-person to take a picture with my Canon point-and-shoot camera. "Which button?" Or, "I haven't seen one of these in years!" Well, a good 'ole camera photo is much better than the pictures my Iphone takes, so I'll keep using it. You and Robin look good. I'm glad you had a nice birthday.

Maria said...

Happy belated birthday 🎂…
What a wonderful gift from your granddaughter.
The table cloth is absolutely beautifully ..
Your birthday Brekky looked delicious.

Karrin Hurd said...

Happy Birthday! What a wonderful gift from your daughter, the cross stitch is exquisite!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Happy Birthday, Jenny! What a wonderful gift from your daughter - she's a gem! Your breakfast out looks yummy, too. So glad you had a good day!

CathieJ said...

Happy Birthday! How wonderful that your daughter finished that beautiful table cloth. I don't think I would like kippers for breakfast, but Robin's meal looks tasty. Enjoy your special day!

loulee said...

Good to read that you had a happy birthday, with good food and a lovely surprise. Your daughter did an amazing job of finishing the table cloth. Belated happy birthday wishes.

Jenny said...

Many thanks for all your kind comments. I meant to add that the reason I purchased the partially completed table cloth is because I can claim some Scottish heritage. My maternal grandfather came out to New Zealand from Glasgow. We travelled around Scotland during our UK trip and I felt so comfortable there, it was just like coming home.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Happy birthday dear Jenny. It sounds and looks like you had a wonderful day. Your daughter did such a beautiful job on the table cloth. This is indeed a beauty that I know you will treasure. have a blessed week.

Debbie said...

Happy Belated birthday! How cool to have a birthday breakfast! No kippers here in Wisconsin, either. I love that your daughter likes to stitch almost as much as you! What a wonderful present and so special.

Preeti said...

Yummy food and fun with friends - life is perfect. Hope you have a great week with lots of sewing time.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I am agog over that tablecloth, Jenny. What a beauty it us and your daughter is too. She looks like you. What a wonderful gift! Loved seeing your meals and the happy couple celebrating your special day. Belated best wishes!!