Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Monday, October 10, 2022

A little Sewing, and Physio visit

I did a little sewing over the weekend, something that I’d wanted to stitch for a while.  With a good supply of donated children's fabric on hand, I wanted to make some little girls pinnies (aprons).  Sew Wot friend Heather lent me her delightful pattern a while ago, and I traced a copy off.  She used to make the dress and pinny for her own girls when they were little, she told me, all those years ago.

P1000606

Such a cute pattern

Gemma wanted to help too, and showed interest as I was stitching away.  It’s nice that she wants to keep me company,and luckily doesn't get too close to the needle while I’m stitching away.

P1000594

Gemma is such a good helper

I made two little pinnies.  The red and white fabric was part of the haul I received from my neighbour Dorothy’s stash when she was moved into a rest home.  And the pretty blue I picked up last week from Heather, when she had a box of goodies for the Sew Wot ladies to pick through and take what we fancied.  The pattern is two pieces, front and back alike, which slips over the child's head, and ties at the sides.  Just the thing to keep their pretty dresses clean while they are busy at play.

P1000599

One blue, one red

These will no doubt find their way into the Foster Hope donation bag, but they are so cute I just may keep them for a little while.  I’ll certainly be making more from this pattern.

Robin attended his first physio class today, a little nervously I must add, as he had been warned that it could be rather difficult and painful at first.  This is a weekly class arranged by the hospital for knee replacement patients.  As other men were also attending the class, I made my way to the café and let everyone get on with it.  The coffee was lovely and hot, and I savoured every sip.  Then I made my way back to the Physio waiting room sitting quietly with my knitting waiting for the session to finish.  One by one the other men completed their exercises and departed.  One of them commented that his wife was waiting in the car for him, doing knitting as well to pass the time.

P1000604

Knitting on my lap in the waiting room

Robin was the last one there, as I peeked around the corner, and saw him walking up and down the wooden steps.  Then he climbed onto the small trampoline and walked on the spot – this was to mimic walking on uneven ground, we were told.

P1000605

The last exercise of the morning

Anna the Physio was pleased with how things went on Robin’s first session, and the advice was to go home, put an ice pack on the knee, have a hot drink and relax.  Do the exercises during the week, he was told, and come back next Monday morning!  Fair enough, he can do that.  It may well be a bit painful, but it’s all for a good cause, to make that knee stronger and more flexible.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Knitting is a great waiting room activity! When I stitch or knit in public, it often leads to conversations with strangers about their hobbies or their family members who did handwork. Tell Robin he is going to be good as new soon!
Gail at the Cozy Quilter

Janice said...

The pennies are so cute. Weigels patterns are a blast from the past. I’m glad Robin’s first day of physio went well. You should get quite a bit of handwork completed during those sessions.

Joanne in Massachusetts said...

Those are adorable aprons...I think I'll make some for the little girls on my gift list.
Personally I love having a reason for a new apron. I wear an apron when participating at Vacation Bible School because having extra pockets is really handy.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Sounds like the therapist had good advice for Robin, and hope he is continuing to do well with his rehab. So smart of you to take that knitting along for while you wait!

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Wishing Robin all the best as he recovers. Flexibility is the key after knee surgery: it’s important to get the range of motion back in the knee. The little aprons are adorable!

Jackie said...

Each day that Robin goes to physio it will get easier and movement so much better.

Love the children's aprons.

God bless.

Lyndsey said...

The physio will be painful at first but will make a huge difference later. Your knitting looks good, love the colour.

Connie said...

Good for Robin, I know it hurts but the benefits are more than worth it.
You are so sweet to be making those darling pinnies. Some little girls are going to prance around and feel so pretty wearing them. You're spending love with every stitch :)