Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Friday, October 21, 2022

Family Birthday Lunch

My birthday is coming up fast (during the weekend) and my daughter Nicky suggested we meet for lunch up in Feilding.  What a good idea we thought, and drove up on Thursday.  We were meeting in  Delish Café,  a new to us place, and they certainly were busy.  We were a little early grabbed a table, ordered a coffee each, and waited for the family to arrive.

Lunch

Lunch time

It was so nice that both grand-daughters could meet us for lunch as well.  Megan took a couple of hours off from work, and Emma had the whole day off, because it was her birthday.  She had spent the morning riding her horse at the beach with friends, then rushed home to come and meet up with us.

Emma and Megan

Megan and birthday girl Emma

The meals were very tasty, and then Nicky presented me with my birthday gift.  What was inside, I wondered?

P1000639

There’s a gift inside

Inside the bag was a long forgotten treasure.  Some years ago I went to the Altrusa fabric fair and purchased a linen tablecloth and threads, for a very reasonable price.  This had been partially completed and I presumed I would finish it up in no time at all.  That didn’t happen,and after languishing in a bag for quite some time I passed it over to Nicky to see if she would be interested in completing it for me.  All this happened so long ago I had completely forgotten all about it.  She has been stitching away these last few months, to get it finished in time for my birthday.  Not only that, Nicky has recently taught herself to crochet and made the lovely tablecloth edging as well.

Tablecloth

Me with Nicky

This cloth is particularly special to me, not only because Nicky worked so hard to complete it for me, but also because I can claim some Scots blood in my veins. My Maternal grandfather came to New Zealand from Glasgow.

P1000640

P1000641P1000642

My beautiful tablecloth, hand stitched with love

I had a birthday gift for each of the girls, Emma’s birthday was on our lunch day, and Megan’s is in another week or so.  It was a lovely day out, and I’m so thrilled with my gift.

9 comments:

Kathy S. said...

Definitely a beautiful day out. LOVE the table cloth. The crochet around the edge is fantastic! It reminds me of what my grandma used to do to many of her projects. Happy birthday eve!

The Cozy Quilter said...

Happy Birthday! Great way to celebrate and what a wonderful gift. The table cloth is lovely! .I also have Scottish ancestors and I have some distant relatives in Dunedin, discovered through DNA testing.

Janice said...

You couldn’t get a better birthday gift than that. Isn’t it lovely that Nicky also enjoys handiwork. Also nice you could all get together for lunch.

Julierose said...

Happy birthday!! What a spectacular gift--all finished and crocheted, too!! Lucky you;)))
Sounds like you had a wonderful day of it..hugs, Julierose

Nancy J said...

A beautiful tablecloth, and I wonder what part of Scotland your grandfather came from ? My Mum was born in Cambuslang, south of Glasgow , she, her Mum, and brother and sister came to NZ in 1909.Happy Birthday, might be a cool morning for many of us today.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Happy Birthday! The tablecloth is wonderful. Nicky did a beautiful job on the crochet edging.

Ivani said...

Happy birthday, Jenny!
The embroidered tablecoth is gorgeous.

Jackie said...

Happy Birthday. Wow, Nicky did a wonderful job on the tablecloth. Gorgeous work. My mother's side of the family came from Scotland and when we visited the Highlands, I was amazed at how much at home I felt. Told Harvey I could happily live there.

God bless.

Karen S said...

What a lovely birthday celebration an extra special with your lovely gift.