Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Wednesday, March 2, 2022

Home Again

We are home again after our recent trip to Hawkes Bay to attend my sister’s Kathleen’s Memorial Service.  Here are a few highlights of our time away.  What could be better than fish and chips for our evening meal the day we arrived?  The Filter Room was close by and consists of a cidery, restaurant, and also does take away fish and chips.  Just what we wanted.  We may have to go back next time and do a cider tasting, I think.  As we were waiting for our order to be cooked, Robin sat in front of a wall covered with cans.  Just look at them all, he’s saying.

P1030753

That’s a lot of cans!

On Monday we retraced our route back south, going up and over the Saddle Road again, but instead of going straight back home decided to stop at a new-to-us Pop (Park over Property) in Palmerston North.  The owners  has about 12 acres and runs a few sheep on his property, as well as having several beehives.  He made a point to ask us if we were allergic to bee stings, just in case.  The weather was lovely and warm and I sat outside for an hour or so in the late afternoon, working away on my stitchery.  From here, it was only an hour’s drive back home.

P1030768P1030769

Staying overnight on a small farm

Gemma was rather excited to be outside, there must have been so many marvelous smells around the sheep pens close to where we were parked.  She sniffed everywhere, she climbed up high, she climbed through the fence, no doubt wishing those mean owners of hers would take that dratted lead off her harness so that she could go wherever she wanted.  Not a chance, Gemma.  Just as well there were no sheep in the pen, that might have been a bit much for her to take, but she certainly enjoyed the odours left behind.  I’m sure she thinks she could be a country cat if we lived here.

P1030770

So many interesting smells out here!

When she was inside the caravan Gemma helped me with blogging duties, as she often does.  She is very good at holding the lap top bag down so it doesn't escape.

P1030762

She’s a big help when I’m blogging

And, I’ve got a finish to show you.  To be honest, these were stitched before we went away, but I never got around to blogging about them.  I had cut out several more masks, and then we were told that the preferred masks to use were the N95 type.  If we wanted to make and wear cloth masks, they should have three layers.  My two layer masks were pinned up ready to stitch, so I had to quickly cut an extra inside layer for them.  Here they are, all done.

P1030732

New masks to wear when out and about

9 comments:

Kim said...

Fish and chips is always a great idea. When I read Gemma was exploring I did think 'wouldn't she wander away'. Then I read she had a lead, so all's good. Those masks are great. It must be lovely to be back home again, Jenny.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

we have been using the KN95 masks and had been able to order a box of 25 and got several boxes from Amazon - now though we are not wearing them much any more as the case numbers are going way down - many people are vaccinated but there are still many more that are not. In our county we now have under 100 active cases - I still do not go out often and only wear them if I will be in a crowded space - I have had 3 shots so feel safer now.
My father had a beer can collection and that wall reminds me of it - he had several tall book cases full of them some areas were 3 deep.

Nancy J said...

I was fortunate to be able to order online some P2 masks, and as we only wear one for about 30 minutes when grocery shopping,once a week or 20 minutes at the doctors,maybe once a month? my thoughts are one will last for several weeks. I made some cloth ones for friends grandies, and left a lining gap so a filter one could be inserted.I can imagine Gemma out there, before we moved here, had 6 weeks at a friend's place out from Feilding. Felicity was all bent to walk to the road and smell which way was home!!!She had a lead on, thank goodness.

Julierose said...

That is quite a "wall of beer cans"! You have to wonder: Did just one person drink
them all haha?:)))
Nice you could stay at a farm; my son and DIL and my two grands often arrange to say camping at farms--they love the isolation and the girls love all the animals...
Welcome Home Again.
hugs, Julierose

Connie said...

Your kitty looks so sweet helping you with your blogging.
I had fish and chips last night too! Mine were not as good as yours, because they came from a frozen package that I simply suck in the oven for 20 minutes. We used to have a great restaurant in town that only did fish . . . Steve and I loved going there, but I guess not enough people went there because they went out of business many years ago and we haven't really gotten another good spot since.
Steve had a hot sauce collection and that beer can collection reminded me of him.
Have a sweet and happy day, dear friend :)

Tired Teacher 2 said...

I like the idea of a POP instead of the RV parks we have here. My brother-in-law collects beer signs: his basement is full of them. I’ve started wearing a mask that’s a similar design as the ones you made. It’s not cloth, but I probably need to make some cloth ones, too.

Jackie said...

I made a pocket in my two layer masks for a filter which makes them three layers. I am still going to wear a mask even though the mask mandate in my province has been lifted. I just feel safer.

That's a pretty big wall of beer cans.

God bless.

Maria said...

That’s a huge collection of cans there…
Nice new masks… I have a pocket in mine I pop in a PM 2.5 filter in….
Gemma is a great traveler…

Janice said...

You visited some interesting places on your trip. It’s fun finding new places to visit, while travelling to familiar places. Gemma certainly had the travelling life down pat.