Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Sunday, March 13, 2022

Still Knitting Socks

My sock knitting is coming along well.  I’m half way through a second pair of burgundy socks, having now done those tricky heels.  I need to sit quietly with my pattern and mark off each row when I do the heels – its a good idea to sit outside on the patio by myself while I’m concentrating, I find.  The first pair was finished a while ago and didn't get the side seams sewn up while I was busy knitting those three pair of secret socks for Christmas.  I’m doing one pair for myself and the other pair to gift.  I love the colours in this wool, they will be nice and cozy for winter.

P1030793

Burgundy socks

Another pair of socks finished earlier and only just sewn up is this pair of Franken-socks – made from left over yarn from my earlier sock making efforts.  The grey was left over from a pair of mine, the shaded purply-blue on the tops was from my granddaughter Emma’s Christmas socks, and the navy stripes and toes in the feet was left over from my daughter’s Christmas socks.  The three yarns all came together nicely to  make another nice warm pair to tuck away in my sock drawer.

P1030794

Franken-socks

My grand-daughters were thrilled with their Christmas socks and commented that they were the first pair of hand knitted socks they ever had.  Since they appreciated them so much I decided I would knit them another pair each.  Last time we visited them we spent a little time together on the wool website and they chose their own yarn for their new socks.  Emma chose “Flower Garden” and Megan’s choice was “Lilac Scent”.  When I complete my current socks I’ll start on these two, no hurry as they will get them later in the year, birthdays or maybe Christmas.

P1030704-001

More socks to come

19 comments:

Kim said...

I like the two colours of yarn your granddaughters chose for their socks. Those Franken socks are fabulous. Love that they don't match. The burgundy variegated yarn is gorgeous. Love how the different shades meld together.

ButterZ said...

All those socks are wonderful. My friend has made me 2 pairs and now 1 has a hole worn through. Some parts are worn very thin. I love wearing them around the house. They are very comfortable. Keep on knitting

linda said...

Your socks are lovely especially the burgundy ones, I find that sock making is quite addictive so try not to do it too often haha. Have a lovely Sunday.

CathieJ said...

I have never made a pair of socks. I have the yarn to do so, but I need the needles and a good pattern. I think I would rather stitch in the round than have to seam. I love the yarn you are current using and the ones that your granddaughters chose.

The Cozy Quilter said...

Your grand-daughters have picked lovely colours for their socks! Your needles will not be idle. I like the striped socks you made with leftovers. I will have to try making socks someday. I’m currently making a hat for myself. Have a good week!

Julierose said...

Oh these are so pretty--love the yarn choices too--what pattern are you using--i take it
you are not knitting in the round? I have a great old mitten pattern of my Grand-mere's that are knitted flat that I used to make for my children--
those burgundy ones are yummy--I haven't gotten to casting on as yet. Maybe today??
Hugs from a chilly House on the Hill Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

knitting socks as you prepare for fall sounds like a nice relaxing thing to do. I always find hand knit socks the most comfortable socks to wear

FlourishingPalms said...

Oh so many people are sock-knitters - not me! I tried making a pair, with guidance from a knitting expert, so I appreciate the challenges making them. But I've not seen socks that are stitched up the side. I made mine on three needles, in a tube. So there must be several methods for approaching sock-knitting. How lovely that your granddaughters have requested more. That's a grandmother's dream-come-true. Enjoy the making!

Karrin Hurd said...

Lovely socks. I rather like the Franken-socks! Hope you have a great week!

grammajudyb said...

I admire anyone who knits! And socks especially! Lovely colors picked by your granddaughters! And I really like the Frankensocks

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I need to find a good simple sock pattern to use some yarn o have. Yours are so pretty and I grew up wearing hand knit socks.

Quilter Kathy said...

How fun that the girls could pick their own yarn for their new socks! Love the photo header on your blog!

Ivani said...

Love the pink yarn. Those socks are pretty and cozy.

Connie said...

These are so pretty and so nice . . . I can't think of anything sweeter on a cold day than a pair of hand-knit socks to keep the toes warm and cozy. If I ever tried knitting socks they would never, never, never come out matching . . . Bravo!

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Great job on the socks. I haven’t knit a Franken sock in a long time. I have too many socks as do my sister and niece. I’m knitting newborn hats from my scrap sock yarn. I isolate myself when I’m grafting the toe stitches when concentration is important.

Maria said...

Lovely burgundy socks and your other pair look warm and cosy too.
Your GD both picked gorgeous colours for their next pair and it’s always nice to give a gift they love….

Jackie said...

My goodness you are busy knitting socks. I love the yarn colours.

God bless.

Karen S said...

They all look great and the timing is perfect with Winter around the corner.

Janice said...

I love the colour of your current socks and the Franken socks were a great way to use the leftovers. How good that the girls want another pair each.