Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Project Bags

It was time to make some more project bags to corral my UFOs.  As much as I admire the bags often seen in blogland made with a zipped clear plastic front, these bags look a little too difficult for me to make.  My bags are simple draw string bags, made with netting, and finished with patchwork fabric and cord.  Much easier to achieve, and work just as well to house my projects.  After all, who wants to store their precious sewing in plastic bags?  Not me.

P1030799

I used up some more of the seemingly never ending supply of four patches on the base of one bag, in reds and purples.  And for the first time I added pretty blocks to the front of two others, I don’t usually bother with this step.  But I found two pretty pieces amongst the boxes of fabrics I received from my next door neighbour when she went into care, so there they are, put to a good use and out of my stash.  Although rather stiff to sew, the netting softens with use.  And for those of us over a certain age, who can remember wearing net petticoats under our full skirted rock’n’roll dresses?

7 comments:

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

These project bags are fabulous, Jenny. I have not thought about using netting. Great idea . Plus I like the idea of - no zippers. I am sure those bags will be filled in not time. Have a very lovely day.

Nancy J said...

From memory Jenny, I had a petticoat with a built in band that you had to inflate!!!~ Those were the days of 3 yards width in a skirt. I remember dancing to " The One Eyed, One Horned, Flying Purple People Eater " There,that says How old I am as it dates from 1958, it reached #1 in the Billboard pop charts from June 9th to July 14th. I twirled and danced with that full skirt,. Love your bags, and with a block on the front, you can still see all the goodies inside.

Angie said...

🛍👝 Beautiful bags!! 🛍👝

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

always good to have some bag on hand!

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Great job on the project bags! I don’t like to sew the clear plastic, and netting is a wonderful substitute.

Jackie said...

Those project bags look very nice. A great way to use up what you already have.

God bless.

Birthe Marie said...

These project bags were very nice and so great to use mesh fabric.