Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Sunday, February 27, 2022

Memorial Service

We drove up to Hawkes Bay to attend the Memorial Service for my elder sister Kathleen, who passed away last August when Covid rules made numbers attending funerals severely restricted.  Her family decided to wait a while and hold her memorial later when more people could attend.

P1030761

The two of us were born 15 months apart, so we spent a lot of time together, particularly in those early years.  When I was making notes of what I wanted to say at the service, I realised that I would be the only one present who had known her as a young child.  (Our elder brother lives in Australia, and younger sister Karla was born when I was 11 years old).  What to talk about?  My first memory at three years old when we came in a big truck on a wet stormy day to arrive at our new home, unfurnished and bare floors, and the pair of us happily running around the empty house looking for our new bedroom.  Then the fun times we shared, going to the Saturday afternoon picture (movies) together, and going roller skating on our brand new strap over the shoes skates.  How I longed for a pair of those white boots with skates attached, but to tell the truth I was not much good at all at skating so they would have been wasted on me.  Kathleen however, was so much better at skating than I was.  I completed my memories with a quote I had found which said: “Sisters are different flowers from the same garden”, so true.

IMG20220226113210

Remembering happy times together

At the conclusion of the service we all shared a  nice lunch, and chatted to the other guests.  I was amazed at several ladies who said my voice sounds so much like Kathleen’s did, I wasn’t aware of that.  And her grandson Adam asked if he could have a hug as I look so much like his Nana.  We certainly didn't look alike in younger years, but seemed to as we both got older.

The service was held in a theatre, which, as I found out, Kathleen used to sew costumes for in earlier years.  There was a pair of rather posh chairs against the wall, obviously props, and they looked just like a pair of thrones.  So we tried them out for size, trying to look suitably regal.

P1030758

King and Queen of nowhere

Kathleen’s family and husband wanted to spend the rest of the day together, so we will catch up with them again before we go back home.  It was a typically hot Hawkes bay summer’s day, so there was nothing for it, we had to visit Silky Oak Chocolates and indulge in an Iced Chocolate each.  Don’t worry about the calories, we decided, just enjoy the day!

P1030759 IMG20220226141944

Iced Chocolate at Silky Oak Café

Gemma is doing her impression of a ‘chilled out” caravan cat.  Who knows what she may see while looking out the window?  Birds perhaps, maybe a dog or two, hopefully an a lead as they should be at camps.

P1030746

Plenty to see out this window

9 comments:

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. What a lovely service you had tho - and your memories are so sweet.

ButterZ said...

Glad the day went well. It must have been hard. Thinking of you.

Nancy J said...

Memories are so important, recently I posted photos and a long letter to a friends younger sister, the friend and I originally lived in a small rural area in South Auckland, across the road from each-other, walked, rode a bike or a horse to primary school together, played the violin together??? helped on the farms our Dads had, and I now realise how important it was to pass on the photos.School ones, some of the two of us together helping my Dad with a trailer load of feed for the cows.Even back then in the 1950's it seems we had Red Band Gumboots!!! I am so glad you were able to travel there, amid our growing numbers ,each day it seems to escalate beyond what we could have ever imagined when this first began.Gemma, you look so comfy and safe right there.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it sounds like a nice service - and such good memories as children - I too have those kind of memories - in the photo and some I remember you showing in the past I think you all look a lot alike
Chocolate indulgence after your day sounds like a good thing to do

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Memories keep our loved ones in our hearts. Thinking of you and the rest of Kathleen’s family.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Oh Jenny. It broke my heart to read this. My sister passed away in August too. It is still difficult to this day. I had read the same sisters quote the other day on the web .Sending you hugs.

FlourishingPalms said...

How lovely that you could attend your sister's memorial service, and have the opportunity to share some of your childhood memories. I'm sure those were some of the things her family didn't know about her. So sweet that you could grow up so close like that. My sis and I are five years apart in age, and my remembrances aren't as precious as yours. But I completely agree with the saying you shared - that sisters are different flowers from the same garden. Your "pretty-in-pink" dress says you're a beautiful rose, or sweet-smelling carnation.

Kim said...

It was touching to read this post, Jenny♡ A beautiful post, where we catch a glimpse of the love you shared with your sister. I can see in my mind's eye the two of you running through your new house when you were such little tots. I too, always imagined how wonderful it would be to have a pair of those fancy, laced up, white roller skates. Oh, all the beautiful memories you have in your heart. I love what you say about sisters being different but bloom in the same garden. I must say, you and your husband do look rather regal sitting on those two 'thrones'.

Karen S said...

That is a very special way to spend time together. Well done with doing the speech. It was obviously appreciated.