Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Saturday, February 19, 2022

Back at my Sewing Machine

As much as I enjoyed our three weeks away in the caravan, it’s always great to come home again.  I had some sewing to catch up on, stitching teal/aqua blocks for my Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) projects.  So let’s see what I’ve been up to over the last couple of days.  First up was to make a teal string block – these string blocks were carried over from last year, so I already have some of the colours stitched.  I must admit I rather like them made in shades of one colour, rather than using multiple colours in each block.  Then, you may remember, I have a bunch of boy’s themed 5 inch  squares and decided I would take my time with these and just frame them when the monthly colours are announced.  Last month I made a couple of these blocks using red.  Other bloggers call these Happy Blocks, and I rather like that name too.

P1030708

String block and Happy block

Next up were some blocks using some of the butterfly fabric I was gifted when my neighbour went into care.  She was very fond of butterflies and had accumulated quite a collection in all sorts of colours.  I’m making these little blocks using up some strips of multi hued butterflies on a white background, adding the centre crosses in the nominated colour each month.

P1030710

Two more of these

Then I started a new butterfly project, making Puss in the Corner blocks.  (I couldn't start these easy blocks last month as I had no red butterflies in the bag full of fabric).  I’m not too sure if I’ll use the very dark block, I’ll wait and see how it looks at the end of the year when I have stitched all the other colours.

P1030711

Puss in the Corner blocks

I’m also cutting a 6 inch square from each of the butterfly fabrics and plan to make a raggy quilt sometime in the future -  just planning ahead.

Here’s Gemma relaxing in her tunnel, looks like she is happy to be home again too. 

P1030705

Gemma snoozing in her tunnel

26 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

your string blocks are lovely - now you are home again you can get caught up on things before you go wandering again

Maggie said...

Love all the beautiful projects and the butterfly fabrics. Your cat is too cute, our cat loves to cuddle under the blankets. We always have to check if she is the little hump under the blankets. Have a wonderful weekend.

Julierose said...

"...Home is best" right? I was always happy to be home after any of our trips...I truly am not much of a traveler...a real homebody....
I love your choices for blocks this year. Very nice works in progress hugs, Julierose

Linda said...

I love your collection of aqua blocks. Those butterfly fabrics are beautiful and a lovely way to remember your neighbour.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I had a wonderful time catching up on your posts, Jenny. I very much enjoyed those travel posts and seeing the most interesting things in museums and the handwork of the folks who came before us. Also the wonderful food! Elvis really did visit Newfoundland - as a very young man in the army; the US maintained a number of bases in Newfoundland(because of our strategic location in the Atlantic) and many of the enlisted were there at one time or another. There are photos documenting it but I don't think any of the local girls got to see him. LOL

Mari said...

Lovely blocks! Love the butterfly themes.

Deb said...

I love string blocks too! Caravanning sounds like such a good time. We did a lot when the children were small. Now we just go to visit camping friends at their sites! Stay safe and sew on !

Nancy J said...

Love the teal strip block, and all the others too. Early morning here and we have light rain.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

You have a nice variety of block projects planned for the year.

Kathy S. said...

Gemma definitely looks happy to be in her tunnel. The happy block is fun. You made good use of your stitching time now that you're home. Happy sewing! You can still think about all the fun you had on your recent trip while sewing.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

You have such great ideas for blocks, Jenny! I like the string blocks in one color, too. The butterfly blocks are pretty also!

Ivani said...

Back home means let's the sewing fun start. You made pretty blocks, Jenny.
Love the string and the happy block are perfect for a I spy quilt.
Great variety of butterfly blocks, the darker fabric is beautiful.

Deb A said...

What a cute tunnel Gemma has! Your blocks are lovely and those Puss in the Corner blocks are going to make a great quilt.

Jackie said...

What lovely blocks. I do like the string blocks that you make regardless of colour.

God bless.

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

I love all your cheerful blocks, especially the butterfly ones! Glad you had a good vacation. It's nice to get away, and nice to get back home again.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Beautiful blocks
and Gemma... too funny!

grammajudyb said...

I love all your “color of the month blocks”. I agree about the same color string blocks! So versatile too! It is nice to be home, as Gemma demonstrates! She’s a beauty!

The Cozy Quilter said...

Gemma is sure you can’t see her!
Your butterfly blocks look terrific!
Glad to see you had a wonderful vacation and that you are safely home once again.

Maria said...

Always nice to be home in your own bed and sewing 🧵
Lots of lovely RSC blocks you’re making. They will all come together for great quilts.
Gemma does look comfy….

Karen S said...

You have so many ideas for your rainbow blocks.
They are looking great.

Sarah said...

I’ve just caught up on your travel blog it looks like you had a lot of fun! Nice blocks, especially the string block.

Jan said...

Lovely blocks, I like the strings in similar colours also.

Birthe Marie said...

So many great scrap blocks you have sewn! It's nice when the fabric scraps can turn into beautiful blocks and then into beautiful quilts.

Sandy Panagos said...

I love all your RSC projects! It's so fun seeing what everyone is making, isn't it? I think I'll start making som Happy Blocks, myself!

Janice said...

What a great way to use the butterfly fabrics. I hope you can find some to suit most months.

Kim said...

You have been having fun with all your happy sewing. Every block sings ♪♫♩happy♩♬♪. Such lovely little butterflies. Such sweet little blocks.