Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Wednesday, February 9, 2022

All Shook Up

These has been plenty of things planned for our ICA Rally while we have been touring around.  And today was one such outing that I have been so looking forward to.  A visit to K D’s Elvis Presley Museum in Hawera.  K D Wasley has been an avid collector of Elvis Presley records and memorabilia since the 1950s.  This was a real treat, and something I had been looking forward to with great anticipation.  I’ve been an Elvis fan ever since I heard him sing Love me Tender, when I was a young girl. 

P1030607P1030632

We were warmly welcomed as we stepped inside, Elvis was singing on the TV and there were items to look at everywhere.  Such as a gold lame jacket, records, magazines, ornaments, toy pink Cadillac's, everywhere you looked there was something or other which screamed Elvis. The Music Room out the back was crammed full of records, pictures, and all sorts of memorabilia,  and we were intrigued by the replica gold records on display – 24ct  gold plated we were proudly told.

P1030621P1030624

Plenty of gold on show

There was a picture showing the rustic little house where Elvis was born.  It was interesting seeing the difference between this, and the grandeur of Graceland's. I would have so loved to have a visit there, but I guess with Covid and the way of the world that’s not likely to happen now.

IMG20220208141058

Beautiful poster of Gracelands

So there I was, surrounded by Elvis memorabilia, watching him on the TV screen as he performed his songs.  I was in seventh heaven!

IMG20220208131003

My hero

Have you ever heard of the secret visit of Elvis to Rotorua in 1960?  And the stamp made to commemorate the visit?  I hadn't either.  It must be a hoax, we decided, especially since New Zealand didn't have decimal coinage back then.  Still, a great talking point in the museum.

P1030635

Fake news

So what else has been happening?  Mt Taranaki (Egmont) was looking wonderful in the morning.  Peeping through the clouds at us, dark and brooding, without a spot of snow on the slopes.  There’s certainly something majestic about a mountain, isn't there.

IMG20220208092755

Mt Taranaki in the morning

As for Gemma, in all honesty, I have to admit that she is not an Elvis fan.  As far as she is concerned, it’s all about her.  Here she is, all tucked up in the caravan, behind the bathroom curtain on the vanity unit.  No doubt she’s having a rest from looking out the window at the birds.

P1030563

Gemma is resting once again

6 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have seen Graceland several times while driving by but we never stopped to visit - we have been to Memphis where it is located at quite a few times over the year - we liked his music but were not top notch fans.

Lyndsey said...

Your visit to the museum sounds fabulous and a visit to Graceland would be great but unfortunately I think we will both have to miss that treat. I'm not sure I even fancy being in a plane with lots of people anymore, no matter how amazing the destination would be. Oh the changes that covid has made.

Jackie said...

Elvis sang at our Exhibition when I was just a tiny baby. Mom sat on our front steps to hear him as we were not far from the grounds in Vancouver. She would have loved seeing that museum.

God bless.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Wow, that is quite an extensive collection of memorabilia! I adore the photo of you watching the television performance.

Connie said...

Wow that museum was chucked full of Elvis memorabilia. I can imagine your eyes zooming all over the place trying to take it all in. The photo you took of the mountain is absolutely gorgeous. I'd love to see your country one day, but I don't see that happening so I'll just enjoy it through your blog. Have a lovely day.

FlourishingPalms said...

Oh Jenny. You make me smile. I'm not much of an Elvis fan, but I sure enjoy your enthusiasm for him. I'm sorry you can't get to Graceland as you wish. Would you believe I've driven past the Interstate exit to his house, many times, and I've never stopped? No interest. If it makes you feel better, I've heard that visiting Graceland is somewhat of a disappointment. It's not as "grand" as it appears. But I know plenty of people who are ga-ga, like you. I'm glad you enjoyed your day.