Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Sunday, February 13, 2022

Still Tripping Around

We're making the most of the sunshine, and what better way to do that than indulge in a huge raspberry snow freeze waffle cone ice-cream.  Made with fresh fruit grown at Windermere Gardens in Wanganui, and enjoyed while sitting in the café there.  I didn't manage to consume it all before it started melting and dripped down the front of my top, but that’s not an unusual occurrence for me.

Snapchat-933916332

Yummy ice-cream

So, what else have we been doing?  We had a great day out on a big red double decker bus the other day.  We don't see many of these in New Zealand.  First in, best seated, as the early birds climbed up the narrow stairs to the top deck.  Robin was tasked with ringing the bell at the rear of the bus, ding, ding, I’m sure he felt just like one of those characters on the long running series “On the Buses”.  But his most important job was to make sure no one from upstairs tripped and fell down the stairs and out the back entrance!  I kid you not, this bus did not have a back door so was open to the elements.

P1030648

All aboard!

Our first stop of the day was to the beautiful Putiki Anglican Church.  Although sporting a relatively plain and modest exterior, stepping inside is full of Maori carvings, woven panels, and painted kowhiwhai panels.  No photos were to be taken inside, but take my word for it, the interior was breathtaking.  The work was overseen by Apirana Ngata, who led the Maori Art and Crafts School in Rotorua.  He agreed to bring his team of tutors and student carvers to Wanganui over a two year period.  Four local women were sent to Wellington to learn how to weave the tukutuku panels, and shared their knowledge with other local weavers.  All the timber has been richly carved with only the pews left plain.  The people were told “We will carve you the most beautiful church you have ever seen”, and they certainly did.

P1030654

Putiki Church in Wanganui

Back in the bus again and it slowly ground it’s way up Durie Hill, puffing diesel fumes onto the following cars.  But never mind, this bus in aa good age, after all. Some of us took the opportunity to ride the  Durie Hill Elevator,  built in 1919.  This is the only public transport elevator in the country and is still used daily by locals and visitors.  At $2.00  a ride it seemed a bargain and I followed a little later with Scotty.  The other passenger on board kindly took our photo, Scotty, me, and the young elevator operator.  After our ride down we walked through the long, rather ghostly tunnel to finally reach the street.

P1030659

Going down.

We waited on the footpath at the bottom for the bus to drive back down the hill and collect us.  But……. it drove straight past, with the others on board waving out the windows.  Seems Neville had forgotten all about us, drove over the river, then had to do a U turn and make his way back to collect  the missing passengers!

We had a great lunch out at St John’s Club in town, my scallop wee delicious.  Then bus driver Neville took us on a tour around Wanganui, through the town centre, out to the beach, then back to camp.  I had climbed up the steep narrow stairs of the bus for the ride back to camp, and can attest that every little bump in the road is definitely magnified ten-fold upstairs!  What a great day, thoroughly enjoyed by all.

P1030662

Scallops for my lunch

12 comments:

Julierose said...

Yum scallops--boy does that look good!! Sounds like you are having a whale of a good time!!
Enjoy--hugs, Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

so it looks like you all are wearing masks there too now! Hope for very few sicknesses. The ice cream in the waffle cone looks delicious!

FlourishingPalms said...

Oh, this DOES sound like a fun day! The bus ride was certainly an adventure, but I most would have liked seeing inside the church. I can imagine how beautiful the wood carvings were, and no doubt they'll require much care in the years ahead. As for that raspberry snow freeze... that's MY kind of eatin'!

Tired Teacher 2 said...

I’ve always wanted to ride in a double decker bus! Everything on this outing is interesting. Even though it’s cold here, I’d enjoy that waffle cone filled with scrumptious ice cream.

Jill said...

Thank you Jenny for taking me on a your trip. Visiting your country has been on my list. It’s good to know that people are able to get out and about more. Raspberry cone looks delicious. Food tends to fall on my shirt also. Lol. We’ve been on a double decker bus in New York City. Fun.

Connie said...

How fun! Love the bus and that ice cream cone looked mighty special, too :)

Gretchen Weaver said...

That sounds like such a fun day! I LOVE raspberry ice cream but I would have gotten it in a dish, I've dripped too many times on myself.

Jackie said...

Wow, that is one huge ice cream. I love raspberries. My favourite of all the berries.

God bless.

Karen S said...

Looks like he great times continue. Love the ice cream!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Sounds like a day of grand adventures, Jenny and to top it off ice cream- how glorious.

Kathy S. said...

That's a great picture of you and the ice cream looks soooooo yummy!

Deb A said...

I was thinking that ice cream looks amazing (and I would have had a bunch of it on my shirt!) What fun travels and adventures you have had.