Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Thursday, October 14, 2021

Lunch Date and a Finish

Wednesday was Lunch Date.  Some friends had given me a pretty card with some cash as a Get Well gift after my spinal surgery.  To do what I wanted with it, perhaps buy a little something to cheer myself up.  I had decided I would use it to buy lunch for Robin and myself as a treat.

P1020369

Gift card

So we went out to the local Cossie Club.  The chef was offering a “Covid Lunch Special”  three courses for $16.00 a head.  Excellent value, and I knew it was good as I had dined there the previous week with our monthly Rangeview Ladies lunch group.

P1020782

What’s on the menu

We enjoyed a bowl of lovely rich tomato soup to start, delicious.  Then I chose pork sirloin and Robin had a home made pork belly pie.  Desserts were from the cabinet, I chose cream caramel, and Robin fancied an apricot and custard tart.  With a beer for him, and a coffee for her, we lunched very well indeed.  Many thanks to my friends for your thoughtful Get Well gift.

I have a finish to show.  Last weekend I was hand stitching the binding down on this donation quilt.  It didn’t take too long to complete this job.

P1020767

Almost done

There is a story behind this quilt.  I’ve mentioned previously that when my elderly neighbour went into a rest home, her daughter donated me a a couple of cartons filled with Dorothy’s fabric and other bits and pieces.  Inside one of the many plastic bags I found 11 four patch blocks made from Kiwiana fabrics, plus extra pieces.  So I made the last remaining block, assembled the quilt, using some of Dorothy’s batting, and machine quilted it, making use of some variegated thread also from Dorothy’s stash.  The star fabric on the back was also gifted to me, this time by Heather of our Sew Wot’s group, who received a bundle of fabric from a friend of her to share with us.  I think it’s wonderful that all these donations find new homes and get used!  I will be donating this to Foster Hope Charity.

P1020787


P1020788

Dorothy’s Kiwiana quilt

I’ve shown this next quilt on a previous blog but forgot to mention that this was another of Dorothy’s creations.  Tucked away in one of the cartons was this little quilt top made of nine patch blocks and hand appliqued hearts.  I added two borders, layered and machine quilted it in a spiral design, as I really wanted to be sure that those heart blocks were secure.  This will also be donated to Foster Hope.

P1020749

A little girl’s cot quilt

Included in the fabric I received was quite a lot of kiddie/juvenile fabric, so handy for donation quilts and bags.  It will keep me going for ages! 

10 comments:

Kathy S. said...

Glad all is going well after your surgery. So happy to see you out and about. Way to go on your charity quilt finish.

Maria said...

Wonderful gifts both the gift card with which you both enjoyed a delicious lunch….
And all those fabrics that you’re able to use make quilts you then gift to a great cause…
Both the Kiwi themed quilt and hearts are lovely finishes.

Gretchen Weaver said...

Your meal sounds delicious! That's great you received a bunch of children's fabrics, they'll make lovely quilts, happy stitching!

Janice said...

Your lunch sounds delicious. The quilts turned out beautifully. I love that donated items are being donated when completed. Truly paying it forward.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

wonderful lunch for you and it is nice to finish the quilts up and donate them

Julierose said...

Wonderful donation quilts--how nice that you finished her quilts in progress to donate!!
That meal sounds heavenly!! We haven't eaten out in ages...hugs, Julierose

Tired Teacher 2 said...

How lovely that you’re turning Dorothy’s fabrics and orphan projects into special donations. I love the fabrics in the first quilt - the colors in the four patches are vibrant. The COVID luncheon special was the perfect treat and it sounds delicious.

Jackie said...

I will venture to say that Dorothy is watching you and loving how you are using her fabrics and blocks.

Your luncheon out sounds delicious.

God bless.

Karen S said...

How kind of your friends - and what a lovely way to use it for the two of you. Glad you had a lovely meal.
Great to see the donation quilt finished and to hear the story behind it. Lovely.

Vicki in MN said...

I think it is great that you are turning the gifted fabric into donation quilts! Nice work:)