Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Sunday, October 10, 2021

Knitting and Stitching in the Sunshine

Sunday morning looked promising, blue skies and sunshine, so I decided to spend a bit of time outside on the patio.  Perhaps a little knitting to start with, I thought.  My secret socks are coming along well, but no photo opportunities for them.  Instead I did some knitting on a pretty yellow baby beany, using some yarn gifted to me recently.

P1020768

Another baby beany

My hand stitching consisted of stitching the binding down on a child’s donation quilt, so I happily sat outside and worked on that for a while.  But then the wind got up, and the temperatures dropped, so I moved back inside.  Spring weather is rather temperamental here in New Zealand.

P1020767

Hand stitching the binding

I hope to have this job finished soon, then I can show you the front of the quilt.  The green and gold star fabric used on the back was a donation looking for a good home, brought along to the Sew Wots by Heather one morning.  Thanks so much Heather, it looks good on the back of this quilt.

16 comments:

Kim said...

It was a beautiful blue sky, sunny day here, too, today. The wool for the baby beany is pretty. Is that a little sparkly fleck I see throughout? How lovely of you to be making a donation quilt. Those happy stars on the back are great. Enjoy your stitching.

CathieJ said...

Our Autumn weather has been tempermental also. Much warmer than usual, but yesterday had quite a cool breeze blowing. I like your baby beany. I look forward to seeing that finished quilt. Enjoy your stitching!

Maria said...

Nice to sit outside to do some knitting and hand sewing , sad it got too cool so you had to go inside again….

ButterZ said...

Oh the quilting looks interesting

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

looks like you were keeping busy - that is pretty color yarn you are working with

The Cozy Quilter said...

It’s lovely to stitch outside in the sunshine! We have been having some beautiful fall days here and spent some time reading outside yesterday in our gazebo. I’m looking forward to seeing your finished projects.

Karla (ThreadBndr) said...

Your quilt sneak peek is enticing. I love the colors that I can see.

Baby stuff is always fun to knit. I make regular donations of all sizes of beanies, tams and watchcaps. There's always a head to keep warm!

Hope your spring weather gets calmer. I'd love for autumn to show up here in Kansas - it seems to be reluctant this year.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Love the sparkles in the yarn - it will make an adorable baby hat. Temperatures are fluctuating here, too. Much cooler this week than last week. The first snow storm is predicted for Wednesday: I hope it doesn’t materialize.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Stitching outside sounds lovely, Jenny! I love that soft-looking yellow yarn and the green and gold backing for the quilt, too.

Karrin Hurd said...

Great projects to be working on. Love the sunny color of that yellow! Happy Stitching and knitting!

Sarah said...

That is very pretty yarn, it will make a lovely baby beanie. I too am knitting a baby hat!

Nancy J said...

Changeable is so right, snow to 500m in the far south today, thank goodness lambing is over. Further north, I was told the day was SO warm it was T shirt and shorts!!!I am hoping we stay at the current level, and all people obey the rules!!!

Ivani said...

You are working on great projects. Tho yellow baby yarn looks to be so soft, perfect for ababy beany. Stitching outside is a great idea for a wonderful Sunday.
Have a great week, Jenny!

Janice said...

Your weather sounds pretty much kite ours. Saturday was glorious and warm, today is back to winter. You did well to make use of the nice morning, sitting outside. It sounds like you are being very productive with your projects.

Jackie said...

Autumn has come to the Canadian prairies the last couple of days. Much cooler, leaves are quickly disappearing from the trees. I am staying in where it is nice and warm.

I love the star backing on the quilt, and cannot wait to see the front. Love the soft yellow you are using for the baby beanie.

God bless.

Karen S said...

Sitting out in the sun sounds perfect for stitching and knitting.
Much the same here, today. Sunny in the morning and blowing a gale with rain in the afternoon. That's how Spring is here, too.