Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Monday, December 24, 2018

Up to Here in Chocolate

First job in the kitchen today (Christmas Eve) was to make the filling for the chocolate cheesecake – the base had already been made and was nice and chilled in the fridge.  But why, I now ask myself, didn’t I read through the list of ingredients properly?  Yes, I had a tub of cream cheese, but I needed two!  Everything came to a standstill while my Christmas Pixie went down to the shops for me.  Once that second tub was in my hot little hands I got busy.  The filling was soon made, the melted chocolate mixed through, the whole lot spread on top of the base, and back in the fridge it went.  I’ll sprinkle some chocolate Flake Bars over the top just before serving.

P1250123
Chocolate Cheesecake

And while I’m dealing with melted chocolate I completed my cherry balls.  These are yummy, glace cherries wrapped in almond paste, then dipped in chocolate.  Very moreish indeed.

P1250126P1250129
My favourite, chocolate cherry balls

There was still some melted chocolate in the bowl, so in went some strawberries, followed by some dried apricots, to use it all up. 

P1250136
More chocolate goodies

I can’t really be trusted with melted chocolate, as I got it everywhere, all over my fingers, on the bench too.  Using melted chocolate is a bit like my disastrous episode with a  hot glue gun, which I now steer well clear of - glue everywhere, and burnt fingers. 

Here’s a little bit of Christmas to finish with, two Santas (both purchased) guarding a jar full of Christmas baubles.  Our kitten Gemma had to be persuaded NOT to jump up to get the berry twigs at the top.

P1250130

We are delighted to see the large pohutukawa tree over our back fence is starting to flower.  Not quite in full flower yet, but the crimson flowers are a sign that summer is here and Christmas is just around the corner.  Goodness me,  it’s tomorrow!

P1250135
The Pohutukawa, known as New Zealand Christmas Tree.

Wishing all readers and bloggers a very Happy Christmas.  It’s been so nice to have made contact with so many of you through your comments, and I have been lucky enough to have a few face to face meetings too.  Safe travels to any of you on the road over the holidays, and Happy Stitching too!

8 comments:

Michelle Ridgway said...

Chocolate heaven at your place....yum! Merry Christmas to you and your family Jenny xx

Tired Teacher said...

Your chocolate treats look delicious! I hope your Christmas is joyous.

Karen S said...

Melted chocolate is much safer than hot glue. And for more enjoyable, too.
Merry Christmas to you as well.

Kate said...

Looks like Jenny's 'Chocolate Factory' ! ^^ Everything looks yummy. Merry Christmas!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

so many nice things made out of chocolate I would be eating way too many. I made cookies and they are already being eaten and I have barely had any of them! I hope Gemma leaves all the decorations alone and have a great day.

Judith nb Serena said...

Enjoy all that chocolate. A Happy Christmas and a happy and prosperous New Year to you both.
Judith nb Serena

crazyquilter said...

Merry, merry Christmas to you and Robin,

All the very best to you both. Hope you both get to have more caravan adventures in the New Year - not to mention lots of stitching too!

Peggy, Linda and the cats

Raewyn said...

It does look and sound like you have had some delicious goodies for your festive fare Jenny! Belated best wishes for the season! Your Pohutakawa is going to be beautiful in full flower!