Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Saturday, October 6, 2018

A Finish!

With just the binding to finish stitching down, this should have been completed ages ago.  But it got put aside, as often happens, and just pulled out again this week.  So here at last is my Soul Searching quilt, “Colours of my Life”, hanging on the clothesline outside.

P1220622 

I had seen versions of this quilt pop up all over the internet a couple of years ago, and thought what a great pattern it was.  So after resisting for a while, I sent away to order my own copy of the book.

P1220680-001

Author and designer Kathy Doughty suggests using fabrics in your stash for this quilt, and to use all variations of each colour from light to dark.  I didn’t like that idea, as the lights faded into the background.  Instead I used similar strong tones of each colour.  With the pieces of each colour grouping cut out and pinned, I used this as a “leader and ender” project while sewing other things.
P1220626 

Simple sewing it might well be, but I’m so pleased with the graphic design and how it all turned out.  The colours I chose were dark gray, dark cerise pink, black, red, dark green, dark blue, deep purple, burgundy and teal.  Paula of Rabbits Patch Quilting stitched an all over swirly design for me, and the quilt is bound with black scrappy binding.

P1220636
Gemma helping me lay the quilt on the bed

P1220644
I love it!

This quilt finished at 84 inches square, so can be turned any way on the bed.  I had stitched three blocks in pastel colours of lilac, pink and pale blue, much too pale and not the look I was after, so these have been incorporated into the backing.

P1220647

Goodness knows how long this quilt has been in the making, but that doesn’t really matter, does it.  It’s finished now, and I’m thrilled with it, and it’s staying here with me!

10 comments:

loulee said...

What a lovely finish. And it gets the kitty seal of approval. :-)

Tired Teacher said...

It's gorgeous! I love the lighter blocks on the back, too. I think you were wise to use bold colors rather than gradients of each color.

Nancy J said...

Brighter is so much better, and the back, what a great way to have matching blocks in those paler colours.

Michelle Ridgway said...

Just gorgeous Jenny. Looks beautiful on your bed xx

JanineMarie said...

Beautiful! I like that you showed it on the bed so we can see how big those blocks are and that you made use of the “rejects” (really, they aren’t rejects at all) on the back. I’m sure kitty thinks it belongs to her. Congrats on a wonderful finish!

Judith nb Serena said...

What can you say but beautiful work. Love your colour choice. I wait with anticipation to see what comes next.
Judith nb Serena

Maria said...

Sew nice to have your Soul Searching finished and I can see why you will be keeping it.

Karen S said...

It is a wonderful finish. It looks lovely spread on the bed.

Janice said...

How good to tick that one off the list. It really makes a statement on the bed.

Michelle @ From Bolt to Beauty said...

Good for you for veering from the pattern's palette and recommendations and making a quilt you truly love!