Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Thursday, August 22, 2024

Birthday Trip South

Do you ever look back and wonder where all those years have gone?  My son Michael's  birthday is fast approaching, and he will be turning 60! That's certainly hard to come to terms with.  I certainly can remember his birth, the toddler years, then schooling - how on earth did he get to be 60?  And how old does that make me?  I was 18 when he was born, a couple of months off 19, so a young Mum indeed.  And 12 months later I did it all again, when his sister  Nicky was born.  Those were the days.

With such a momentous birthday coming up, we decided to take the caravan down to Christchurch in the South Island, where Michael has lived for the last 15 years or so, and celebrate with him.   So we packed up, drove to Wellington and boarded the ferry to take us across Cook Strait.  This trip takes about 4 hours.

BlueBridge Ferry Feronia

We arrived at the ferry terminal in good time.  Handing the paper work over to the girl in the kiosk, she handed over the boarding pass, and asked us, could we  manage 5 flights of stairs, or she could park us close to the lifts.    That was a shock, we  must have been really looking our age, we thought, as we replied, close to the lifts please.  We were guided into the correct line, and sat and waited till the ship berthed, and the passengers travelling north had all disembarked.  Then it was our turn and we were waved aboard.  Gemma has to be a big brave girl and travel in the caravan all alone.  It's rather noisy down in the hold so we imagine she just hunkers down somewhere till it is all over.

Everyone seems to make a bee-line to the cafe on these trips, including us.  It was a late lunch for us, so we purchased some sandwhiches, and a drink, sitting in the cafe for a while.  A little way into the trip,  the ship was starting to roll and we decided to leave the cafe and go and sit in the Quiet Room which we had spotted.  Oh dear me, just walking up the corridor was an effort, holding on to whatever was handy, as we tried to keep on our feet.  I'm sure we looked just like a couple of rather drunken OAPs as we stumbled about, it was not easy at all.  We curled up on a couch in the Quiet Room, waiting for the rolling ship to quieten down.  

I had a funny thing happen to me in the toilet block.  The lady in the next stall tapped on the wall and said she couldn't open the door.  Of dear, what could I do, I wondered.  So I looked at the square door handle and presumed she had been trying to turn it.  Just slide it to the right, I advised, and yes, it worked.  English was her second language, and no doubt she had visions of being trapped in the toilet, no wonder she was getting agitated.  So that was my good deed for the day.

Then we changed seating areas and I got my knitting out.  These socks are for one of my granddaughters for Christmas.  In fact, tucked away in my knitting bag is two pair of socks, and a couple of beanies I'm knitting for charity.  After all, I don't want to run out of knitting while I'm away.


Socks for Christmas

It is always such a lovely sight when the ferry reaches the Marlborough Sounds and glides along in these sheltered waters.  We went outside to enjoy the scenery and the smell of salty sea air.  It was a bit breezy so Robin had to hold on tight to his cap to stop it blowing away.

Gliding through the Marlborough Sounds

We made good time, and arrived in Picton a little early.  Our first overnight stop in the South Island was just a short 8kms away at Koromiko.  There were only a couple of other vans in attendance, so there was plenty of room.  This is a lovely place, surrounded by beautiful mature Totara trees.  The custodian came to get our fees, and remembered us from our previous stay.  She used to have a Birman, so was particularly taken with Gemma.  Sadly, her cats had died young, and she had several other losses over the last two years to cope with.  Such a shame, she is a lovely lady, and she recommended the  Birman breeder to us when we last met, where we got Gemma from.


Our first night in the South Island, plenty of room for us.


An old fridge full of books to swap



It was a very chilly night indeed and we awoke to a rather foggy morning



Lunch on the coast the next day

Our camp for the night consisted of several bays, so after checking them out, decided on the lower one.  Not too full, so plenty of room again.  It was such a nice day we sat outside for a while, making the most of the warm South Island sunshine.  But once the sun started going down, we could tell we would be in for another chilly night.  Just as well we have an efficient diesel heater to keep us warm and toasty.


Staying at Kaikoura


Just look at that snow on the mountains

10 comments:

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Happy Birthday to your dear son, Jenny. I hope he has a great birthday. I always love seeing your caravan photos . Camping at the bay sounds delightful. Good thing you have a heater to keep you cozy. Hugs

Gretchen Weaver said...

Have a lovely time celebrating your sons birthday! I have noticed since my hair has turned white that I'm often offered help these days. And I've started accepting it! Have a blessed visit!

The Cozy Quilter said...

Happy birthday to your son! Another pair of colourful socks on your needles. It seems you are in charge of keeping everyone’s feet warm. Safe travels and enjoy your visit with your son. Gail at the cozy quilter

Julierose said...

That was quite the trip you took. I hope you enjoyed your son's special birthday celebration... with him.
The camping spot looks beautiful...when younger we used to go tenting with our youngsters. Your caravan looks really roomy and comfy--nice to have heat on tap for those colder nights...Thanks for sharing your journey ...hugs, Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the birthdays of our children certainly remind us how old we are - I acknowledge I am in my 70's but it is always hard to believe in a way. That looks like a good trip until you say it was rocking and rolling! I would need to get out the pills for seasickness - my stomach doesn't handle it well. Your camp area looks so peaceful

Tired Teacher 2 said...

The rolling sea would have done me in. The areas where you parked are beautiful.

Jackie said...

Happy Birthday to Michael. I often wonder how our sons have gotten so old as well.

God bless.

Maria said...

Have a wonderful time celebrating your son’s special birthday. I agree with you Jenny, where do the years go.
The trip across was worth camping in the beautiful places on the way to your son.

Karen S said...

This is a lovely way to combine a holiday and a special family occasion. Happy Birthday wishes to your son.

Janice said...

I’m glad I wasn’t on the boat with you as I am not a good sailor. The scenery is gorgeous.