Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Friday, May 31, 2024

Kiwi Blocks done

 My stitchery kiwi blocks are finally finished, just in time for the Chookshed Challenge in May.  I purchased a kit from Millie Mac Studios comprising of printed panels and stranded cottons.  These were a bit small for what I had in mind, and I'd rather work in Perle number 5 rather than the embroidery threads.  So I got the patterns printed larger, and sent the original kit up to my daughter to stitch at her leisure.


The designs show Mr Kiwi sporting his Christmas cap enjoying a variety of Kiwi Christmas activities.  Cooking on a BBQ,  and over a fire beside his Combi van, decorating a tree for Christmas, and delivering a sack full of Christmas gifts.

What to do with the stitcheries?  I didn't really want to make a wall hanging with them, and decided on place mats to use in the caravan.  The first two I bordered in a New Zealand tree design, and thought I could use this set  year round.


Kiwi busy cooking his dinner

Pohutukawa flowers border the second two blocks, and the embroidered designs are a little larger on these two.  I'll use this set over Christmas.  This tree is often called the New Zealand Christmas Tree as it flowers over the Summer.


Christmas Tree and a sack of gifts on top of a fine looking ram

It's always good to have a finish, and I'm certainly enjoying taking part in the  Chookshed Challenge.  It's been fun listing my UFOs for the year, and this was number 5 which was selected this month.


21 comments:

bunw1125@gmail.com said...

Just found your blog. You are so clever. I love the kiwi blocks.
Enjoy your weekend.
Barb in Pennsylvania USA

Julierose said...

What a splendid idea to make placemats from your lovely stitcheries for your caravan;)))
Great finishes on them all hugs, Julierose

dq said...

So, so, so cute!! I have never used pearl cotton for embroidery. Does that help the designs to show up better? You were smart to enlarge them. When there is a will, there is a way.

Jackie said...

Good for you on getting another unfinished project done. Those have made very lovely placemats for the caravan.

God bless.

Connie said...

I love these! They are perfect with the Kiwi and the camper, that one is my fav.
They are so you :)

Connie said...

I love these! They are perfect with the Kiwi and the camper, that one is my fav.
They are so you :)

Jenny said...

Just to let you all know, I already had these Kiwi blocks stitched. My goal this month was to turn them into placemats.

Jeanette said...

Love the placemats, the kiwis are very cute.

Astrid said...

Great finishes! Love that you turned them into place mats!

The Cozy Quilter said...

These will be great to use in your camper! Well done!

Jenn Jilks said...

You are so crafty.
I have not been able to focus and have enough patience. Thanks for sharing yours!
(ツ) from Jenn Jilks , ON, Canada!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I just love these designs, Jenny. I especially like that curvy tree. I love embroidering with Perle #5 too. And my those fabrics are so pretty. Gorgeous place mats!

ButterZ said...

Great idea to make them into placemats. I like perle threads instead of stranded.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

such pretty stitching!!

Laura said...

Sweet blocks! What a great idea to make them into placemats! :)

FlourishingPalms said...

Love, love, love! You did a great job stitching these, even if it was a bit more tedious to use stranded embroidery thread. Each design is cute, and your border fabrics for placemats are appropriate. Pohutukawa? I've never come across that name or seen these blooms, but they're lovely as fabric. I love that your Christmas tree is Pohutukawa. I always learn something from your posts. Thanks!

CathieJ said...

Your stitchery looks great. I love the placemat idea and the beautiful fabrics you used as borders.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those are the cutest embroidery designs, and you found the perfect way to finish them up and get some use of them, too! Congratulations on your finish, Jenny!

Karrin Hurd said...

Lovely stitching, and how clever to make place mats out of them! Have a great week!

loulee said...

Those are great blocks Jenny. Love the place mat idea.

Lin said...

What a great use of your lovely stitcheries. xx