Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Saturday, March 9, 2024

Purple for March RSC

 For all those taking part in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, it's a new month and the new colour is purple.  So I've been busy sewing some purple for the block sets I've been working on this year.  First up are Happy Blocks for a girl.  Ths month I found some girls charm squares featuring butterflies and flowers

Happy Blocks in purple

The bordered four patches were next.  I had stitched a whole lot of four patches suitable for a girl a while ago so I'm using these up this year too.  I found flowers, mermaids, and another block containing owls, dogs and a spooky looking cat.  It's always fun finding toning fabric for the borders in these two block sets.

Bordered four patches

One more easy block set to go, and these were the Hollow Nines.  I found a bag full of 2.5in squares to use, and I'm determined not to cut any more.  In fact, I'm not too keen on using little squares at all, so once I've stitched all the colours for the year, I'll probably donate any left overs to the Op Shop.  But at the moment I'm using them up, being thrify and frugal.

Three Hollow Nines

And there has been one extra purple sewing project to finish off the week.  I've made two little pouches to hold pens and pencils to donate to Foster Hope, and each little pouch has a packet of gel pens inside, all ready to go.  This was recycled from a small table cloth I made for the caravan some time ago, featuring Easter Eggs.  I hadn't really used the cloth for some years, so chopped it up to make two little pouches.  They needed a buttonhole in each - oh dear, I hadn't stitched button holes for ages.  But once I had found the manual, read about buttonholes, found the button hole foot and stitched a sample, I was good to go.  It wasn't really so scary after all, so what was I worrying about!

Two purple pouches for donation

So that's all my purple stitching so far.  Wonder what everyone else has been doing?

22 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

You've made lovely donation blocks and the pouches are so cute!

Helenchaffin said...

great job on the little pouches! you've got a great start on purple blocks,I pulled my purples out & there's going to have to be a lot of stretching 😄

The Cozy Quilter said...

Often the things we are nervous about doing turn out to be not so bad after all! Great job on the pouches! I’m trying to use up some 2.5 “ squares too.

Maria said...

Beautiful RSC blocks in purples and the two pouches are gorgeous.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I haven't made a button hole in years! cute pouches

grammajudyb said...

I need to practice with the buttonhole foot on my machine. This week I did 2 small ones, but used the manual method. It went ok!

Susie H said...

Nice job on using scraps for your purple blocks. Love the "little girl" theme. Your pouches are beautiful as is the idea of donating them with the gel pens. Who wouldn't like such a nice little surprise!?!

Julierose said...

Just lovely purple projects you are working on and you've finished up!! I am working on little hourglass units with my 2.5" squares...I have a stack of off-white and some lighter colors .
We'll see where these lead me to...hugs, Julierose

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I remember buttonholes being a really difficult skill to learn as a young girl learning to sew! Hopefully the modern feet for that task make it a lot easier. Those pouches are great, and love seeing all your purple blocks!

Astrid said...

Great idea turning a table cloth into two pretty pouches. I had to LOL at the button hole! That sounds like me, if I was to make one now, haven't made any in years either. Pretty purple blocks.

Lyndsey said...

Very cute little pouches. Every time I do buttonholes I have to remind myself how to do them. I'm currently cutting a load of 2.5.inch squares. I seem to use a lot of them.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Love all your blocks! I'm making the same blocks for RSC2024! Great way to re-purpose the Easter egg fabric for pencil pouches! :)

Jackie said...

My goodness, you are really moving along on those blocks. Purple is such a lovely colour for girls. Though youngest son loves purple as he says it is the colour of royalty. LOL.

God bless.

Susan said...

Lots of purple happening there - the Easter egg fabric is gorgeous. I am yet to start my purple fish - a few things need some more urgent attention.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Lots of pretty purples blocks and projects are being produced out of your quilt room. Love the little pouches. How sweet!

loulee said...

Lovely purple projects.

Char said...

Those pouches are great and I love the butterfly and dragonfly blocks.

Michelle Ridgway said...

Pretty purple blocks. The pouches are lovely and will thrill a little someone xx

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Cute pouches, and complete with gel pens! I'm sure they will be loved. I love the blocks, especially that spooky kitty. I admire your ability to stick with using the cut squares, and not drag out all the stash and cut more! (Is this why my sewing room is always a mess?) Have a great week.

linda said...

The blocks are lovely and those pouches are perfect what lovely fabric.

Andee Neff said...

Lots of purple going on! The pouches are cute!

Karen S said...

Great work with all your purple blocks. And the pouches are lovely.