Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Thursday, March 14, 2024

Mid Month Chookshed Challenge

 It's mid March and time to write about my progress on Chookshed Challenge No 4.  For number 4 I decided to work on a panel, as are several others taking part in the challenge.  I had a couple of panels hiding in a bag, and decided to do something with my horse panel.  Which has been sitting there waiting for the horses to be liberated for quite some time.


Opening the panel up, I remembered that it had four large horse panels, plus two more strips showing multiple horses on each side.  These smaller strips were cut off and added to the top and bottom.  I then added a strip of dark green to the top and bottom to give it a little more length  and some cream/brown dotty fabric for the borders.  No fancy pieced blocks anywhere, the idea was to keep this project simple, and achievable.


The top is done

The next step was to pin the layers together, always a bit of a challenge in my small home with not much clear floor space.  What I do is lay it on the floor between the sitting room and kitchen, put a few safely pins in to hold it together.  Then I carefully pick it all up, and lay it over the outdoor glass table in the patio.  There I can finish the pinning sitting down, without putting too much strain on my back.

Pinning the quilt layers together

The quilt binding has  been prepared, always a bonus in my book, and I have just started the machine quilting, so it's coming together quite well.  I'm looking forward to seeing what other panels have been worked on this month by fellow Chookshed Challengers.  I appreciate the organisors of the challenge for keeping us all motivated.

7 comments:

Laura said...

Congratulations on getting this one out of the bag and moving forward, Jenny! :)

Jackie said...

Number 4 is coming along nicely. You will definitely finish this by the end of the month.

God bless.

Allison said...

Love your horses quilt. Panels are always a trick to use Jenny. I buy so many and don't think Ive used any, or at least not many. I do have a couple of designs to use them LOL Maybe one day.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Horses are just such lovely creatures. How neat to use these panels, Jenny. I have a panel featuring a cardinal and keep wondering how to use it.

dq said...

It is a wonderful quilt, Jenny! Love the horses and love that you have begun quilting. Great job!

Karen S said...

Great way to use your panel.

Maria said...

fantastic progress on your No 4 challenge.
Guess it's finished now.