Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Saturday, March 16, 2024

More Purple for March

 I've finished all my RSC blocks for March, but I found  another purple project to work on.  When I received several boxes of fabric when my neighbour Dorothy was moved into a rest home some time ago, I came across a pile of nine patch blocks she had stitched.  These blocks sat around for a while, and I finally assembled them into a quilt top, using white sashing.  A length of lilac floral fabric found in the boxes became the borders.  And there the top sat, waiting, and waiting.  I laid it on our bed to check it out.  It doesn't look too bad for a donation quilt, I think.

Dorothy's nine patch blocks

With the backing fabric and batting ready, I took it outside onto the glass patio table, and pinned it up, ready for quilting.  Not sure how much of this I will be able to do this month, as we will be away in our caravan for ten days or so over Easter.  But I should be able to make a start on the machine quilting, and hopefully finish it the following month.

By the time we return home there will be a new RSC colour for the next month, and a new number chosen for the Chookshed Challenge.  So I'll be busy sewing again in April.


14 comments:

Julierose said...

What a lovely and "largeish" piece you've assembled, Jenny!! I like the light lavender borders
a lot. Have a safe and wonderful trip...hugs, Julierose

Gretchen Weaver said...

I think Dorothy's 9 patch blocks make a very nice quilt for someone who needs some special love. Happy stitching and happy caravanning!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the quilt looks good and will be loved

scraphappy said...

The lilac border is a lovely way to finish off the nine patches. I am sure that it feels good to have those nine patches sewn into a quilt.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is a lovely way to use up those blocks that your friend made! I like the rainbow of cornerstones that connect the blocks and sashing, and the lilac border, too. Have a fun trip in your caravan, Jenny!

Sara said...

Awesome use of those blocks. I really like the white sashing, and you could have used any color for that outer border. The lilac color is very pretty!

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Love how you turned the blocks donated by your neighbor into a quilt. It will perfect to bring cheer to whomever the ultimate recipient will be.

Jackie said...

Great job, it will make a lovely donation quilt. A nice sized one as well.

God bless.

Kim said...

Dorothy's blocks look lovely in the flimsy you have stitched. The mauve border is a great choice. Someone is going to love your generous and kind gift.

Karen S said...

Great find. Yes, a good donation quilt.

Michelle Ridgway said...

That's a lovely donation to make with your friends blocks. Well done x

Maggie said...

What an amazing tribute to Dorothy, you are treating all her treasures with so much love and respect. Thank you for sharing her journey with and all your wonderful creations. They will all be treasured.

Maria said...

A lovely quilt for someone to love.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Nice use of Dorothy's blocks, Jenny, and look at you fitting in some extra PURPLE!!