Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Thursday, March 28, 2024

Chookshed Challenge for March

 My Chookshed Challenge for March, number four on the list, has been completed.  Some of the participants had chosen to work on a panel for their number four, and I was happy to do this as well, as I had a couple of panels waiting for me in a bag.  I chose to work on my wild horses panel, and mid way through the month  I had added borders simple borders.

The finished top

The next step was pinning the layers together, and luckily I found a piece of cream calico just the right size for the backing.  I safety pinned the layers together out on the patio table, making the most of the warm Autumn weather.  I decided to do something a little different with the quilting and remembered I had a book about Walking Foot quilting designs.  I chose to do gentle Echoed Curves across the whole quilt.  Sorry, but three photos later, Blogger still won't let me turn this photo around.

My practically unused quilting book

Gemma always likes checking out the quilts when I'm working, and I had to chase her away several times.  Using the screw in seam guide to keep the lines the correct width was a first for me.


Busy quilting

And a couple of afternoons sitting stitching the binding down, always the best part I think, and it was all done.

Binding time


All done

This will probably be a donation quilt, but I think I'll hang on to it for a while.  With two grown up granddaughters who are keen horsewomen, I'm ever hopeful of a great grand child one day.

I had mentioned that I had previously used a large horse panel from this range to make a birthday quilt for my granddaughter Megan a few years ago.  After a lot of searching, I finally found a photo.  Made with nine patch blocks, and blue sashing to pick up the colour of the sky and the river, I was very pleased with how it turned out.  This was commercially quilted, as it was much too big for me to deal with


Megan's birthday quilt from several years ago

13 comments:

Michelle Ridgway said...

Your Wild Horses is wonderful. Well done. Your Granddaughters quilt is beautiful and I am sure it's treasured. Happy Easter xx

Judith nb Serena said...

Beautiful work as always Jenny. Judith nb Serena

The Cozy Quilter said...

I have both of Jacquie Gering’s Walk books and love her walking foot quilting designs. I have taken several in person classes with Jacquie. Wonderful teacher! She recently retired from teaching and speaking. Lovely quilting on the horse panel quilt! The guide on your sewing machine worked well to keep your lines of quilting the same distance from each other.

Maria said...

A fabulous finish for your #4 challenge.
Your quilting looks great.
Good idea to keep it for awhile.

Laura said...

Congrats on the finish! The quilting looks great! Well done! :)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have that straight line quilting book. It was helpful for a few small quilts that I decided to machine quilt awhile back

Connie said...

Your quilt is so lovely, any horse lover would be thrilled receiving it. I noticed that you use those little clips when stitching your boarder. I was given some as a gift from my sister-in-law and I absolutely love them.

Lyndsey said...

Well done Jenny. That is a lovely quilt and great quilting. I enjoy using the walking foot for quilting and there are so many designs you can do but parallel do work so well.

Susan said...

Well done on your #4 project!
I think you need to save it for that possible great grand daughter!

Gosh Gemma does like to be close!

ButterZ said...

You did a great job with your quilting. Both your quilts are lovely.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Congrats on an absolutely beautiful finish,Jenny. It will be loved! Great photo of you there too getting the last of the stitching completed. My Chookshed piece didn't get a look in this month...don't know how that happened!!Your machine looks neat.

Karen S said...

Well done getting your horse quilt finished or the monthly challenge. Looking good!

Karen's Korner said...

Congratulations on achieving your #4 challenge.