Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Sunday, March 31, 2024

Knitting on a Caravan Trip

What sort of handwork to take on our caravan trips  was the question.  With no stitchery project on the go at the moment, it had to be knitting.  I usually have a pair of socks on the go, so they were packed.  This pair is going to be for my daughter, she requested a fine 4ply pair this time, and selected the sock yarn from my stash.  I often knit socks on car journeys, nice easy knitting once I'm past those tricky heels.  I knit my socks flat, two at a time, then stitch up the side seam.

Socks for my daughter

My other knitting project is a cardigan for baby Jack, our niece's new baby.  This is a completely new pattern for me, as the garment is knitted in one piece, starting at the back.  I've knitted the back, one and a half sleeves, and now I'm continuing down one of the fronts.

A new baby pattern for me to try

On our travels we called in to the historic village of Ongaonga, named for the Maori word of the native stinging nettle.  The village was founded in 1872 when Henry Hamilton Bridge subdivided his farm.  The general store and tea rooms opened in 1899 and is still in business.


Historic village of Ongaonga

The village is full of interesting old buildings, and the wind was blowing a gale and buffeting us around as we wandered around.  There was an old bush settlers hut, and a tiny jail.


Bush settlers hut from days gone  by


Tiny jail

But the most interesting building, in my view was the old Coles Brothers building, recently repainted.  Not only did they work as builders, joiners, ironmongers, painters and plumbers, they were also undertakers as required.  Obviously the Coles Brothers were a  very talented family indeed.


Coles Brother's building

And look........ the Easter Bunny found us in our caravan at Napier and delivered two lovely Lindt Gold Bunnies for us to enjoy!


Happy Easter

13 comments:

Kim said...

Having some knitting on the needles is a wonderful thing while driving around the countryside. The socks are a pretty variegated yarn and the baby garment is fabulous. Love that it's knitted all in one piece. Enjoy your travels, Jenny. Happy Easter to you.

The Cozy Quilter said...

All of your travel photos make me want to go to NZ and see some of these places myself! Always good to have some knitting or stitching with you on a road trip! Pretty socks for your daughter! I’ve never seen a sweater made that way before. Safe travels. Happy Easter.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Hope you're having a lovely trip, Jenny! The historical village looks like an interesting place to visit. Enjoy those chocolate bunnies and some knitting today!

Lyndsey said...

Happy Easter. I like the colour of the sock yarn and the baby cardigan looks interesting, all knitted in one. Your trip looks fun but what as sham about the wind.

Berkshire Tatter said...

I love the color of the yarn for the socks. They will be beautiful.

Marthanne

Jenn Jilks said...

Nothing better than a chocolate bunny!

I ought to try knitting again. Or maybe knot! 😜

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

one of those 'bunnies' followed me home too--the dark chocolate one!!
and now he is missing his ears--poor thing!!!
hugs, diane

Karrin Hurd said...

Beautiful knitting! What great adventures you have. One of my favorite movies is called Whale Rider, about a Maori girl and her family. Hope you had a Happy Easter!

CathieJ said...

Happy Easter! That historic settlement looks quite interesting. I love the socks that you are knitting. What a beautiful color yarn for your niece's son. Enjoy your knitting and traveling!

Maria said...

Beautiful yarn for the socks and that baby cardigan pattern is interesting.
Pleased the Easter Bunny found you on your fun travels.

Angie said...

Jenny - that's a clever Easter Bunny to find you when camping! The Easter Bunny delivered two Lindt bunnies to us as well - a dark chocolate for my husband and milk chocolate for me!

I love to have something to do while my husband is driving - for me it is usually cross-stitch. Love the color of the socks project you showed at the beginning of your post!

I am #18 at Slow Sunday Stitching this week - have a wonderful first week of April!

Andee Neff said...

So jealous of those socks! I have a few that need a mate. Someday..lol I remember nothing!

dq said...

Loved the photos of the historic village! it is quaint.

Sorry your plans to lunch with family didn't work out. That is a bummer.