Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Sunday, September 3, 2023

Knitting, a New Knee, and Quilts

It’s been quite a week.   The date for  Robin’s second knee replacement had finally rolled around, and on the day prior he needed blood tests done, and we were both asked to take a RAT test each, to prove we were Covid free.  Luckily the tests were negative, always a bit of a worry as we had one friend who had his surgery deferred for quite some weeks as he had caught Covid.  The alarm clock was set on Tuesday morning for 5.00am, and we were out the door and driving at 6.00am to Palmy in the dark.  So many people were milling around the admissions desk when we arrived, we did wonder how far down the operating list Robin would be.  What we did find out was that there are four operating theatres in Crest Hospital, and Robin was first on his surgeon’s list that morning. As well as dealing with new knees and hips, the hospital also performs other surgeries including eye surgery and cancer surgery.

P1030788

Entrance to Crest Hospital

Crest Hospital is a private hospital and has contracts with the DHB to perform surgeries, which is helping to whittle down the public list, a great idea after Covid stopped elective surgery for some time.  Robin was shown to his room, extra forms filled in, the anesthetist came calling, and he was whisked away down the corridor just after 8.00am.  I departed for a coffee fix and to await the call that it was all over.  He was back in his room by midday, bright and perky.  Sadly it was a different story the next day, when he had a reaction to the pain pump, and was feeling rather seedy indeed.  But he still needed to get out of bed, move around a little, and get used to the crutches, once again.   Traveling up each day in the Health Shuttle, a wonderful local service for those with hospital appointments, or like me, visiting a relative in hospital, I made sure I took some knitting with me.  I arrived at midday on the shuttle and left at 3.00pm, a nice long time for a hospital visit.  I sat and knitted while he dozed, or chatted, depending on how he was feeling.  I started another pair of socks, using up more of my left over zauberball sock yarn, as my other socks were up to the tricky heels and I didn't want to cope with counting rows while visiting.

P1030822P1030797

New sock project and back from surgery with a new knee

While wandering up and down the corridor to make myself a cuppa, I spotted a quilt hanging up in one of the offices.  So of course I had to pop in and say “hello, I’m a quilter too”!  She was very friendly and chatty and as it turns out, her Mother used to be President of my local quilt club, what a small world!  She was quite happy for me to take a photo or two, and I’m always thrilled when I discover quilts in unexpected places.  The dress form quilt features  fabric collage blossoms, and the beautiful little purple quilt has a real Kiwi Pacific theme.  Both lovely, and how nice that she (sorry, should have written her name down) could bring her quilts in and enjoy them in her workspace.

P1030790P1030791

Quilts discovered in Crest Hospital

The menus at Crest are amazing, it was just a shame that he didn't feel well enough to enjoy his Filet Mignon when it was served.  I was able to take advantage of the menu too, and ordered a hot lunch on one of the days I was visiting.  Robin slowly came right and Friday was discharge day.  He managed to maneuver his leg into the small car and home we went.  All patients feel better at home, their own comfy chair and bed, Gemma there to check you out, maid service and home cooked meals, although Filet Mignon is not on the menu!  As this is his second knee replacement we know that things will slowly improve, and although he knee is sore when he moves it,  interesting enough it is not quite as painful as last time. 

P1030819

Happy to be home

We already have an appointment to get the staples removed. There will be a stint of rehab needed to get that knee flexible again, a clearance to finally drive again, about 6-8 weeks we think, then life can get back to normal again.  In the meantime I will perform my duties as the nominated driver.

20 comments:

Karla (ThreadBndr) said...

Glad your hubby is recovering well from his surgery.

Your knitting looks great. I love the way that Zauberball gives 'fraternal twin' socks - you can see they are a pair, but they aren't identical.

Julierose said...

Happy to hear that Robin came through so well from the surgery. You both must feel better to be at home...hoping for a speedy recovery for him...always nice to have it "over and done".
Hugs and good thoughts Julierose

loraine everard said...

Glad all went well! Thank goodness you had the knitting. Xx

Loraine said...

Glad that all went well. Thank goodness you had your knitting! Xx

Gretchen Weaver said...

I'm glad Robin is recovering at home. Soon he'll be walking without his crutches or cane at full speed! I like the color of yarn you are using for these sock, happy stitching!

The Cozy Quilter said...

Glad to hear the knee surgery went well and that Robin is home. I’m sure you and Gemma will provide excellent care! He will be a new man with his new knees. You and I both like to work on our stitching/knitting while we are waiting.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Hang in there, glad he is doing well.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

glad to hear the surgery went well and now on the road to recovery. I'm glad I have not had to have those surgeries and Mike hasn't either. One of my brother's has had both knees replaced and another brother might need to start thinking of doing the same.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Very interesting post, Jenny. They are doing the same thing here...using the few private clinics or sending to the States, to whittle, as you say, the waiting list from covid days. It sounds top notch there. But he will have his own personal maid at home so nothing could top that. Nice to hear how you used your waiting time doing the stitching. Robin is lucky to have you!

Karrin Hurd said...

Glad things went fairly smoothly and he is back home again, always the best place to be! Never heard of a hospital serving filet mignon before!

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Glad to hear Robin is home and recovering.

Jenn Jilks said...

Well done, both home nurse and patient!
"All patients feel better at home" this is true, especially with a special nurse at hand!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

So glad your husband's surgery went well. And what a good idea to bring your knitting while keeping him company! It's so nice to find quilts in unexpected places, especially such pretty ones! Good luck to you both in the days ahead.

Deb A said...

So happy surgery went well and he is home and recovering. I used to drive a friend to her Chemo check appointments up in New Hampshire and they had lots of quilts hanging along the walls of the hospital that were always fun to see. Hope you both have a good week.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

It's good that you like knitting for times like these! Makes those hospital visits easier. Hope the rehab goes well and Robin is back to normal before too ling!

CathieJ said...

So glad that Robin was able to get his new knee. Wishing him a speedy recovery. Take care of yourself as well as Robin. Those quilts are very pretty. I like the socks you are knitting.

Chantal said...

Sending prayers for a speedy recovery. He probably feels much better just because he is home.
And he has a lovely nurse too. Take care, both of you. ;^)

Raewyn said...

I'm pleased to hear Robin's surgery went well, Jenny. Great that you had your knitting to help while away the hours visiting. It sounds like good sevice with the shuttle and so on.

ButterZ said...

Rest up and heal well Robin. Start planning the next lot of travels for when you can get back on the move.

Nancy said...

I'm glad your husband's knee replacement went well (except for the problem with the pain pump). It's hard to give up two months to recovering from surgery but in the end, it will be well worth the time to not have the pain (I assume) he previously had. I'm headed toward knee replacements one of these months, or years if I can hold off, but push it off because I don't want to be laid up for so long. (I had hip replacements 20 years ago and I imagine the recovery time is about the same.) I hope Robin's healing goes quickly and smoothly.
How fun that you found another quilter at the hospital.