Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Sunday, September 17, 2023

Birthday Socks

When I first started on my sock knitting adventure a few years ago, I declared  I would never knit socks for others as it took so long.  That changed when my granddaughters asked if I could please knit them a pair of socks, so of course I did, making an extra pair for my daughter as well.  Knitting  three pairs of 4ply socks for Christmas really kept me busy.  All through this, my hubby Robin kept reminding me that I’d never knitted him socks either!  Oh dear, guess he was next on the list – so some extra secret sock knitting started.  I finished them in time for his birthday, and kept them safely tucked away till his big day.

P1030761

These were knitted using brown and cream hand spun wool which was gifted to me by my friend Merilyn, and I added some dark green sock yarn as well, making these triple knit (12 ply) socks.  As I only have two ladies sock patterns, 4 ply plus 12 ply, I had to guess how many extra stitches to add to fit him – I think I got it right.  So here at last is his very own pair of hand knit socks, plus a block of his favourite chocolate.

P1030838

Happy Birthday, Robin

We had originally intended on having a birthday dinner out at a local restaurant, but as he is recovering from his recent knee replacement surgery, he really didn't feel he could cope with the effort of going out.  No problem, we ordered pizzas instead.  And I made a Key Lime  meringue topped  pie for dessert, so we celebrated with a nice meal at home instead.

P1030848

Yummy home made dessert

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Robin!
His feet will be very warm when he wears those new socks! Gail at the Cozy Quilter

CathieJ said...

Happy Belated Birthday Robin! Those socks look warm and cozy. The pie looks delicious.

Helenchaffin said...

the socks look warm & cozy & that chocolate bar's looking extra good!😅

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

happy birthday to Robin - I envy your sock making talent!

Jenn Jilks said...

Happy birthday to Robin. Great socks! Good work.

grammajudyb said...

Is Robin’s birthday today, the 17th? So is my husband’s! Fun! Wish I could knit socks!

Berkshire Tatter said...

Socks are the most wonderful thing to knit, and wear.

Marthanne

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Happy Birthday to Robin, I'm sure he loves his socks.

Julierose said...

Oh nothing beats homemade desserts to my mind!! Lovely socks--they should be nice and warm...
Happy Birthday to Robin--hope he is coming along well with his recovery...
Hugs, Julierose

Quilter Kathy said...

Congratulations on finishing a man's pair of socks! They look quite masculine and cozy!

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Birthday wishes to Robin! He will love wearing the new socks.

Jackie said...

Happy Birthday Robin. He is very happy with his socks and chocolate I see.

Great job on getting those socks made secretly.

God bless.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Happy Birthday to Robin. I hope he had a fabulous day. What lovely socks to keep his toes toasty. Your pie looks so yummy.

ButterZ said...

Happy birthday Robin. That pie looks delicious.

Maria said...

Pleased you had a great birthday Robin.
You look very happy with those warm cosy socks and big bar of chocolate 🍫.
The pie for sweets looks yummy 😋