Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Saturday, September 23, 2023

Aqua in the Artic

With my aqua RSC blocks all up to date, I started a new project, as you do.  I had squares cut out for a small cot quilt, featuring icy blue Artic snow and ice, polar bears, seals and penguins.  With some added blue alternate fabric squares to fill in the gaps, the small quilt top was soon underway.  I love the webbing way to sew blocks together, just wish I’d discovered this method years earlier.  It was soon finished with a narrow cream border and a wider blue one, turning the last two Artic squares into HSTs and there, quilt top finished.

P1030916

P1030913P1030914

Polar bears and penguins

I’ve found some backing which will work well, and made the binding.  All I need to do now is to go shopping and purchase some batting, the cupboard is bare with so spare batting at all. 

By the way, the Antarctic is much closer to New Zealand than the northern Artic, but did you know there are no polar bears down there?  Plenty of seals and penguins though.

9 comments:

Sara said...

That is so cute with those fabrics!

The Joyful Quilter said...

That's going to be a sweet donation quilt, Jenny. Happy shopping and quilting!

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Such a cute quilt for a little one. It will be loved and treasured.

Linda in UK said...

Very pretty quilt. Kelly Tarlton’s springs to mind! Just talking about our experience there this morning on Zoom with our Motueka friend.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That's a cute one, Jenny! I love the penguins, of course, but all the prints are fun. Great idea for the borders, too!

Jenn Jilks said...

What a lovely blanket! Good work!
My son-in-law visited the antarctic a few years ago. It was epic.

maggie fellow said...

cute print and perfect for aqua month

Jackie said...

Cute quilt. I am picking up some batting when I go shopping next week as I have none left and I always like to have some on hand. May even pick up more than one batch. May as well be prepared.

God bless.

Jan said...

What a sweet little quilt - beautiful! I like webbing my quilts too, less chance of me turning blocks the wrong way.