Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Sunday, May 28, 2023

Slow Stitching Sunday

It’s always nice to get the chance to sit and do some slow stitching.  I’ve just finished another of my Noah’s Ark blocks, and this one was tiny.  Actually, I had doubled the size of all the blocks, because I wanted to stitch mine with Perle 5 instead of stranded cotton.  So you can image just how tiny this pattern would have been in the original size.  This block contains snails, tiny bees and lady birds, and two very small butterflies.

P1020682-001

Insects for the Ark

The other slow stitching I’ve been doing is to hand stitch a pair of leatherette elbow patches onto Robin’s’ favourite wooly jumper which features abstract kiwi and sheep.  The stitching took me ages – first I stitched all around the patches, then I added blanket stitch as well.

P1020680-001

Patches done

And look how close I came to running out of thread, the little bit remaining won’t be good enough for anything, will it. 

P1020681-001

I won thread chicken!

What else?  I hand stitched the binding down on my RSC donation quilt this week.

P1020645

Binding all done

And I’ve got several knitting projects on the go, I knit a bit on this one, on that one, and a bit more on the other!  No wonder it’s taking me a while to get anything completed.

18 comments:

FlourishingPalms said...

Ah. You're making just as I like to do, going from one project to another. It's nice to see your progress on the Noah's Ark sampler, and adding elbow patches to a jumper... well, that's just something I've never done. Good on you! I have to smile because your blog post title is "Slow Stitching Sunday." Right after yours in my reader feed, is another "Slow Stitching Sunday" post from my friend Anorina at Samelia's Mum. What are the chances you would both use the same blog post title?!

Gretchen Weaver said...

The Noah's ark embroidery is very cute. Great job on the elbow patches. Your serpentine quilting on the charity quilt looks very good. I use that stitch also.

The Cozy Quilter said...

You’ve been doing lots of hand stitching this week! Such cute little snails and bugs! I’m going to do some cross stitching today.

Helenchaffin said...

I haven't done any kind of stitching in so many years,I'd have to Google how to do it 😄luv seeing your creations,congrats on nearing the finish on your quilt ,I'm down to stitching the binding on one as well

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

It is always a fun thing to win thread chicken! I want to start a sashiko project, but I haven't gotten that together yet.

Jenn Jilks said...

I think it's a lot more fun with several projects on the go. You can rotate and have a break!

CathieJ said...

I love the latest Noah's Ark block. Stitching through Leatherette is slow going, but the patches look good. Enjoy your slow binding stitching!

Julierose said...

Ohhhh I love those cute little snails--;)))
We are watching the Monaco Grand Prix this morning...not my favorite race of the season as whoever gets out first usually wins--but you never know...
Hugs, Julierose

Karrin Hurd said...

Great projects! I love seeing how Noah's Ark is coming along. Mine is still MIA, and I was making the original size and they were tiny! Have a great week!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Such fun little creatures on your Noah's Ark embroidery, Jenny! I love the snails. Enjoy your stitching today!

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Adding the elbow patches will greatly extend the life of the sweater - well done! Bravo for winning at thread chicken, too.

Linda said...

Bet you were glad you got finished before the thread run out.

Raewyn said...

That's a cute block Jenny - and wow I can imagine how tiny it would have been before you enlarged it! Always a good feeling to win at thread chicken :-) Robin will be pleased with his strengthened elbows.

Kim said...

Oh goodness, those snails, bees and lady birds, and butterflies are tiny. So, so cute. I love leather/leatherette patches on elbows on jumpers. I imagine you were relieved that you had just enough thread to finish the task.

AnnieO said...

Thread Chicken and I are very frequent companions--congrats on your winning:)
Tiny stitching success!
How nice of you to wrestle with patching.

Sarah said...

Cute embroidery! Nice job on the elbow patches, it takes real skill to complete a job with a tiny bit of thread remaining!

Miaismine said...

Your Noah’s Ark blocks are so pretty – and yes – would have been tiny in floss! The patches came out very nice! Even though I’ve played with machine binding, don’t you think binding by hand is so relaxing? I love it! Take good care!

Jackie said...

I love those snails. So cute.

I have come to a decision that I will only work on one project at a time. Let's see how long that lasts. LOL.

God bless.